Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Graphic Design Idea Help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Im not sure how many designers are on this site so perhaps im not in the right place:

I am new to the Freelance world of Graphic Design. The biggest biggest problem I have is a hard time coming up with concepts, and how to come up with unique ideas. How to get that unique logo. When I look at other peoples work I say to myself I can design like that but I cant think of that or come up with that concept.

Is graphic design skills in the sense of the creative aspect something you either you have or dont?? Can it be taught????

Are tutorials in software something that can be valuable to do, or after a while do you forget them after a while because you dont use them for a long period of time??

Are there any sites that are setup like BC that are more geared to just designers?

Thank You!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

I'm not a graphic designer, but a 3D modeler and I can say that the most helpful thing for me is deciding on a style before I decide on a final design. For example, if I was to build a fictional airplane, I would first develop a 'style' for the faction it represents. If it's the warlike faction, then I make the airplane with jagged details and pointy points that point, as well as making it look cruel and crude, for example having a red-black and smoky exhaust instead of a blue exhaust.
So I'd say, if you have a 'final product' in mind, like my airplane, think of a style, then apply that style to each of the parts. I'm not sure how I can help you with a more abstract image like a fractal, but if you have a real-world object that you're trying to make, or even a logo, start with a style and the 'message' you want to convey.
Posted Image
Puma, for example, has a modern but 'standard' look, while Air Force logos are aggressive and have sharp lines.
edit:
Also, think of the emotions associated with the product. The difference between a luxury car and a sportscar is the lines: the luxury car will have smoother lines, to appear more sophisticated, while a racecar has sharp lines and bold details to reflect the confidence of the driver.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 26 May 2010 - 10:37 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Yeah that definitely helps. I just think I worry about it to much, i probably need to sit down away from a computer, or go for a walk and think of stuff. Then like you said apply it after i know it, rather then trying to brainstorm on the fly.

I just look at logos and say how do they think of that, I think some people just have it and some dont

ive been using photoshop and stuff since version 7 now were om cs5 - i just use it at the prepress/printing end of things since thats the trade i am in, I just need to learn more about effects

thanks a lot, im hoping a few more people have some advice

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

Doodling might help. Even if you're pretty terrible at drawing, you might come up with something you think that might be pretty nice.

Tutorials for a lot of people are really helpful. If nothing else, they teach you some new tools and things that you never knew were in the program, and they're fairly likely to be remembered and used later, in different contexts.

What program are you using?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

I'm going into the field and I know what you mean! For me it's that there's so many options that I have no idea where to begin. The easiest thing is to think about what and who you're designing for. Usually if you come up with key descriptors or adjectives about the company you'll end up with plenty of options but still have it narrowed down to a few things. Say you were designing for a new vegan restaurant called Lean Green (catchy, I know). What things make us think "vegan"? Well the first thing I think of is vegetables. Now, you could give them a corncob but that's a bit unappealing.. I'll go with a leaf since it's green and also makes me think of vegetables (namely Spinach!). Now comes the font.. sans serif or serif? Well since it's going to be a traditional upscale restaurant, I'll go with a nice serif. Now, to make it even classier I'll space out the letters to give it that really elegant look and this is my final product:

This is the one I made back in class (a couple months back)

Posted Image

This is the one I made just now

Posted Image

They're both viable options. In the first one I made sure the text was all close enough together that it was cohesive and also was kept together by using the leaf. In the second one I made the leaf much smaller and used it more as an accent and used the lower case G to nestle "vegan dining" next to it. Since there isn't too much room I kept "vegan" and "dining" close together but made a visual break by italicizing.

I hope I helped!

#6 terculum

terculum

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

I'll second Vaerli's comment that sketches and process are everything. You will typically need to produce pages and pages of sketches before coming up with a design. General artistic/visual/drawing skills are more important than your knowledge of specific software programs, so the biggest thing is to practice drawing and practice coming up with ideas.

#7 PokeyPrasch

PokeyPrasch

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

I generally start with sketches, take any ideas the client has and play with them on paper- this will make it alot easier once you start up your .ai or .psd doc.

Creativity can be learned in some respects and is a very useful tool, however I would say that solid fundamental and effective design is most desired by clients as they will have their own vision for their work.
But creativity will definitely be an asset when you have some freedom on a project.

If you want to be a well-paid designer, please the client.
If you want to be an award-winning designer, please yourself.
If you want to be a great designer, please the audience.

Edited by PokeyPrasch, 13 July 2010 - 01:45 PM.

#8 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

I say to myself I can design like that but I cant think of that or come up with that concept.

Is graphic design skills in the sense of the creative aspect something you either you have or dont?? Can it be taught????

Are tutorials in software something that can be valuable to do

Are there any sites that are setup like BC that are more geared to just designers?

Thank You!!!

If there is an effect you are trying to master work on it follow tutorials and as you fail and overcome much will be learned. (shadowing, mirroring, glow/shine)

Like Ryan 3000's Puma posted above is raised off the page by the shadow.

CanwllCorfe's pic is a creative example of working and pondering multiple ways of doing things.

PokeyPrasch hit the nail on the head. The sketch is the drawing board, looking at erasing sketching, the idea comes to life.

#9 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

The simple answer is brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm. You need to get your ideas down on paper, then revise those ideas, expand on those ideas - sometimes going in complete circle. You'll then have many happy mistakes, that you can use then, or in the future, and perhaps even a final outcome / design.

If you study design at college, they hammer into your mind the importance of sketch books and brainstorming.

Tutorials help you expand your knowledge at the start, in any field of design. You lean how to do things not just for that specific tutorial, but for your own personal advantage when you need to do something in the future. Your brain soaks up this information like a sponge, granted it doesn't work so well as you get older, but you will retain some things.

As for trying to find concepts, it seems perhaps that you are not comfortable with your own unique style yet. Perhaps you're still on that path. If you are, then seeing what so many people can do, then thinking to yourself that you can do what they do, will make the possibilities seem endless and quite daunting. Your style in the field of design will come in time though, it's a journey. If you need inspiration, then there are plenty of websites and blogs out there that handle and offer inspirational ideas.

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

I'll add my agreement here - even if you think you're a horrible artist with pencil and paper, do it anyway. At that point, you aren't looking for perfection, you're looking for ideas. You may be the only one who knows what those squiggles and lines on the paper represent, but that's fine. They'll help you get to the starting point you're looking for.

I don't do graphic design, really, but I do a little work with web page design. I almost always start out with pencil and paper, just to get a feel for what I want the page to look like, what I want it to convey, etc. From there, I move into Photoshop, and start to actually design the elements of the page. I think that the process might be pretty similar to what you're trying to do.

Never, ever worry about using tutorials. They're a godsend! You'll learn a lot about design concepts, and you'll also increase your knowledge of the software you're using.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#11 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Such Good Ideas so far!

#12 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

i dont think art and design can be taught, you either have it or you dont....now some might "think" they have it and end up doing pretty good art, music, anything in the art genera but its rare,,,,one either is born with a left brain thinking or right....opinion only

Yeah that's very true. You can learn the techniques and how to use the software, but you can't learn creativity.

#13 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

05-02-11 / USA!

@ bgardner:

BC Forum Senior Member "Vaerli"
is right when saying that:

"Doodling might help. Even if you're pretty terrible at drawing, you might come up with something you think that might be pretty nice."

I've Google searched some free Basic Graphic Design Concepts for beginners you should get good ideas from as follows:

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=Free+Graphic+Design+Concepts+for+Beginners%2F&btnG=Google+Search

BoOm!

Best of luck.

Re,

MH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users