Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I added more RAM-not better

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Camelot

Camelot

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

I added 4GB of RAM to this Dell OptiPlex GX280. When I turned on the pc it stop in the boot cycle and asked if I wanted to go setup or just continue. I clicked the setup to see what was there. I went down to the memory and I seen that it showed 4GB. So I got out of that and continued booting. When I checked how much memory I had in my Control Panel it showed only 2.99GB so I guess I am going to have to check to make sure they are all seated properly. But, why did it show 4GB in the boot stage?

Next question and reason why I bought more RAM. I noticed in my Task Manager that my CPU goes to 100% when loading certain sites. I thought this would help it. Well even though I have the 3GB working, it still goes to 100%.

What else do I need to do? Is this pc infected and that is why it goes that high?

Pc History- Just got this from My Mom and created a new user and deleted hers. I used CCleanup to remove a bunch of other stuff that I didn't need. I loaded Firefox yet I tried to get rid of IE and it couldn't do it. Something was missing. I still have Trend in here and it is good till Dec but I could easily get Avast and knock out Trend. I also put on Zone Alarm on here and Malwarebytes. I just ran Malwarebytes this morning and it found nothing. I don't have a Spyware app. Was looking at threads and it looks like maybe loading Spybot to get rid of any. But, it seems to be a toss up on which spyware program to use. I read about people complaining about SpyDoctor. I have Spyware Terminator on my other system. It has never found anything. But, there was one thread I read and will have to find it again about buying the program of Malwarebytes so it runs when I am online.

Anyhow, please let me know what needs to be done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

the memory total behavior is normal. the motherboard notices all of the memory. However 32 bit versions of Windows only support up to 3.5 GB. This can vary based on the configuration of the computer so the 2.99GB is normal.

adding memory will not reduce the load on your proccessor. Upgrading to a faster on will but the computer you have is pretty old and if you can find one to upgrade it with it ins't worth the money you spend. Your money would be better saved for a new computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

I just ran Malwarebytes this morning and it found nothing. I don't have a Spyware app.

Malwarebytes is a spyware app.
It looks for all types of malware.
Spybot is not nearly as effective a program, as it used to be.
If you're just looking for another good one, to add to your arsenal, try SUPERAntiSpyware.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

the memory total behavior is normal. the motherboard notices all of the memory. However 32 bit versions of Windows only support up to 3.5 GB. This can vary based on the configuration of the computer so the 2.99GB is normal.

Keep in mind, the system memory is shared with your built-in video (graphics) chipset.
Say you have a usable memory of 3.5GB (Win 32bit), your video chipset is set to consume 512MB of this memory, you are effectively left with ~ 2.9GB.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 May 2010 - 07:23 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

From a previous thread I started:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/317803/upgrading-ram/

According to this site:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz...p;os=tech-specs

It stated that I can put 4GB in it.

Then, I ran this site:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

It stated it held 4GB

So I don't understand, why did I waste my money buying that extra 2GB when I could of just ran 2 separate pairs of memory (the two 256MB boards I had in here and the two new 1GB boards)?

Why on those sites do they say it holds 4GB?

This guy on the other link stated:

and if u have a 32-bit operating system than the max ram u can have is 4gb..

So since I had all this information, I bought four new 1GB boards.

adding memory will not reduce the load on your proccessor. Upgrading to a faster on will but the computer you have is pretty old and if you can find one to upgrade it with it ins't worth the money you spend. Your money would be better saved for a new computer.

I have 3.0GHz processor which is a lot faster then my older pc which is only 1.1! But, I was going to 100% on the CPU on that one and went to this one and it still did it. Just not as much mind you.!

I originally spoke to Dell:
05/18/2010 06:46:24PM ******:"I want to know what to buy to upgrade"
05/18/2010 06:46:50PM Agent (CLKc_Katylyn_204532): "I can help you with that."
05/18/2010 06:47:07PM ******: "In the Task Manager my CPU gets to 100% on some sites and is slow"
05/18/2010 06:47:13PM Agent (CLKc_Katylyn_204532): "When I checked your specs and I only saw 1 GB memory and your system has an option for 4GB. I suggest that we process an additional memory so that we can increase your system's performance."

So this is what started this process of upgrading to stop it from getting to be 100%

I did read from someone else on that other link that:

Adding RAM will speed your system up, but your problem might be more complicated.

So that is why I also asked about the spyware and malware. In case, it still goes to 100% and it is something else. I need to download that SAS and run that and hope it does good and does find something.

#6 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I just ran Malwarebytes this morning and it found nothing. I don't have a Spyware app.

Malwarebytes is a spyware app.
It looks for all types of malware.
Spybot is not nearly as effective a program, as it used to be.
If you're just looking for another good one, to add to your arsenal, try SUPERAntiSpyware.

Thanks! I am going to load that program. So it will remove what I have in it and also stop what is coming in?

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

Lets try to clairify the memory thing here. There are two things at work. The actual computer hardware and Windows. The actual computer hardware DOES recognize and can use the full four GB. Windows DOES NOT recognize the full amount due to the 32 bit limit of the operating system. However your system performance will still be inproved because more than likely the memory uses a dual channel controller. This means it uses the memory in pairs and alternates writing and reading (interleaves) to each module in order to get greater speed. Having two pairs of memory gives you two interleaved modules giving your system a boost in performance again. So even though you may not see all of the memory in Windows you still will have better performance. Memory increases performance by reducing the use of the hard drive by keeping programs in memory and reducing page file usage.

As for the processor you are pretty much maxed out for that family. While I understand it is a big jump from 1 Ghz the 3 GHz Pentium 4 in that computer is like a solar calculator compared to the current crop of processors. While there is many reasons it could be maxing out the main reason is it is older. Perhaps if you tell us the sites you are visting that peg it we can help sort out the problem.
Mark Twain

#8 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yes it is faster in some areas. I was just upset that I spent extra money when I didn't have to. Someone else wanted me to check if it was 64bit on the other link and I found out it was a 32bit.

I do notice that when I am on Facebook playing games like Farmville which I got addicted to and love it!! My CPU used to hum really loud before the RAM upgrade when it got to 100%. It doesn't do that any longer. That is good.

I did load SAS this morning and it found 103 Adware. It was all under the Guest User which I didn't remove before.

I just want to make sure that this thing doesn't have something else in it that I need to get out and it might be slowing it down.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:08 AM

If you are concerned you may have an infection you should start a post in the "Am I Infected" forum.
Mark Twain

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

Well, RAM can be the issue in some cases but it sounds like we can safely say that RAM is not the issue in play here. You say your system locks up at 100% in the task manager, is thier one process that does most of it or is it spread?

I checked the Dell website and it looks like the stock processor isn't all that impresive, so it probably can't handle all to much.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#11 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

If you are concerned you may have an infection you should start a post in the "Am I Infected" forum.

Ok I will post in that thread. Thanks!

#12 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Well, RAM can be the issue in some cases but it sounds like we can safely say that RAM is not the issue in play here. You say your system locks up at 100% in the task manager, is thier one process that does most of it or is it spread?

I checked the Dell website and it looks like the stock processor isn't all that impresive, so it probably can't handle all to much.

It doesn't lock up at all. I just had an issue with my older pc that I really wanted to have as my only one and the cable guy came out to my house since my speed test was extremely slow and was only getting in 3000kbps and it should be 10000kbps. He went to my task manager and showed me how my CPU gets to be 100% when it loads. It never locked up either just slow. His lap top was hooked up and he was in the 9500kbps range. So that is what started all this. I just did the speed test on this and got 9916kbps which is excellent! It is when I am in Farmville that it goes to 100% or just for a second when Firefox opens with 4 or 5 tabs opening at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users