Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no programs will open, not even msconfig or cmd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

someone sent me there laptop and told me to clean it up.

HP Pavilion dv8000 1024 MB of RAM and 80GB hdd.
I know it has microsoft windows xp media center edition, but not sure what service pack is installed. (when i right click my comptuter and click properties, i get "C:\WINDOWS\stystem32\rundll32.exe" Application not found)

I get that error with hundreds of things on this laptop. For example, in control panel, when i click on windows firewall, sounds and audio devices, speech, system, mouse... anything, i get the same error as i stated above

Also when i try and open up MBAM on this computer (user already had it installed) windows doesnt know what program to open it up with, the same for McAfee and any other application.

Also for some reason this comptuer says its still connected wirelessly to the users home network, but thats impossible because my current location is miles away. (when i right click the wireless icon on the bottom right and click disable, nothign happens, it still says its connected.)

this computer is totally haywire, and i wanted to see what all could be done to get this computer back in working order, with a fresh install of windows as my last resort. (even if i do a fresh install i still wont be confident the culprit is gone)

I know we have to get started somewhere, so lets do it.

BTW, i will only be on BP forums from 12 pm to 4 pm central time to troubleshoot with you guys, i prefer not to work on this project at home.

Thanks for everything in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thicool

thicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

you can close this thread, HP is sending me a recovery cd and im just wiping it out

#3 BlindingLink333

BlindingLink333

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

I know that you have plans to wipe the machine, but there is a much easier way...

(Try this, It may not work, There are 2 things to try though)

1)
Start -> Run -> (Type) regedit.exe -> Hit enter
(This might fail with the same message. If so, skip to step 2.)
Click the "+" next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Alphabetically, locate ".exe" folder, click the folder, not the "+"
Make sure the (Default) value says "exefile"
If not, Change it to say so (Right click, "Modify")

2)
Download this file, and run it. Go to:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Locate: EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
Download and run that file.

Edited by BlindingLink333, 27 May 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#4 thicool

thicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

when i click on run, i get the error message.
and i cant open up internet explorer because windows doesnt know what program to open IE up with, weird as it sounds.

its like theres a bunch of shortcuts but nothing at the end of the string.

Im not in possesion of this laptop anymore, the customer has picked it up and waiting on a HP restore disk.

Thank you anyways for your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users