Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP: no 'hibernate' or 'standby' option

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

I recently reinstalled the Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 on my Dell Vostro 1000.

Formerly, when shutting down, I was offered the choices of Hibernate, Standby, Turn off, Restart or Cancel. Now, the Hibernate option is not shown and the Standby option is grayed out (and unavailable).

I have done some research and it seems that this has something to do with my ACPI Multiprocessor PC (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) which I located in my device manager.

I have looked at the Dell Drivers and downloads website, but I cannot find a driver for this device.
Also, I posted a query in the Dell Community forum but without response.

My machine is 2 years old. Does anyone know if there is a more recent driver available?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hibernation is disabled by default in XP. Go into Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options. Click on the Hibernate tab, then check the Enable Hibernation check box to enable it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

<<I recently reinstalled the Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 on my Dell Vostro 1000.>>

Appears to me that system came with Vista, not XP. What source media did you use for your install of XP?

Dell Vostro 1000 Support

Drivers for ACPI are included in the Windows install, http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/kmarch/pwrmgmt_8nmv.htm.

So...a problem with ACPI is a problem with Windows.

I'd run either a repair install or the sfc /scannow command, using a a CD that has been updated/slipstreamed to include SP3.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#4 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hi Bicycle Bill and Hamluis,

The system is XP, not Vista. I used the cd's that came with the computer to reinstall the operating system and to install the drivers.

The problem seemed to be in the order of installing the drivers. I reinstalled all the drivers.
NCSS was first, the chipset drivers followed and then the others in the order recommended on the Dell website.

It seems that this was the problem because the standby option has now came back. The order of installing the drivers is apparently very important.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Thoughtful Skeptic

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users