Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visual Basic 2010 Woes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tredspane

tredspane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

I'm not sure whether this question of mine applies to Software or to Operating Systems, so I'll take the risk and post the same text to both.

I just downloaded and installed Visual Basic 2010 Express on my brand new HP Z200 Workstation running Windows 7, 2 GB memory. After restarting and after bringing up the app, VB10E comes up with a Start Page, where I click the link "Quickly Create Your First Application" and then "Get Started by Creating a Picture Viewer (Tutorial 1)." Once I do, it takes me to the Bing search page, which seems to indicate that the link I just clicked is invalid.

I posted this issue to Microsoft (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/556247/link-on-start-page-is-broken), but they eventually closed the issue for Not Reproducible. Anybody else seeing the same issue? What could I be doing wrong? When I Google this issue, the few others who seem to be having success with VB10E don't say what OS they're using. Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Although I have the Beta version of 2010 Express as an ISO image on a cdrom and not currently installed on my computer, I do have the 2008 Express edition of VB installed and RSS feeds enabled. Most of the links I have tried are working properly at my end, how-ever the page you are trying to connect to may have been removed or its name changed, but its link is still show-cased in the RSS feeds main menu, which is why you are not getting to the tutorial page.

You may want to check if your firewall is blocking the URL, because it might be linking to a page that contains running scripts, which are being blocked, causing a re-direct.

By the way, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium version 6.1.7600 build 7600 32 Bit.

Make sure you have gone to Windows update and installed all KB files related to running Mircosofts Visual Basic 2010 software.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 May 2010 - 01:54 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users