Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1TB Ext HD - one or more partitions?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

I've just bought a 1TB external (USB) hard drive for backing up several computers in the family.
It comes ready-to-run with a single NTFS partition.

Is it possible to re-partition a USB ext drive?
If so, is there any benefit to splitting the drive into smaller partitions, or would it be OK/better as a single large partition?

(I have read the tutorial on partitioning, but it doesn't mention external drives or the gargantuan hard drives now available.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

An external drive will function like an internal drive in most cases. I use a little of each. I find that 1 large hard drive is easier for me to manage, but I have about 6 different drives, and I get confused easily! :thumbsup: Partitioning the drive into two (or more) "logical discs" might be handy though for different computers and their data. You're not locked in though, and can redo it at any time. (although you will lose your data)

Are you familiar with the "Manage" command that is available when right-clicking on "My Computer?" Look for disk management to see your drives and partitions.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users