Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not booting, some components get no power

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kelkun

kelkun

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hi...I've been trying for 3 days to get my computer working. I've looked everywhere for helpful info and I'm at my wit's end. Hopefully someone here can help me before I give up and go and buy a new one. ;)

Acer Aspire M5100

Backstory: I had an issue for several days where every once in a while, the monitor would freeze and some sort of stuttering sound repeating itself. Rebooting using the power button the computer was the only way to get out of there and restart. I at first thought that it stemmed from some sort of registry problem (I had been hit with malware several days previously). Then on Friday, it just went black without the stuttering sound this time. I tried to hard reboot with the power button but the computer wouldn't shut down/reboot. I had to disconnect the power cord. Then when I reconnected the cord, the computer started right back up, but still blacked out. The power button was no longer responding.

I tried a whole bunch of different things. I've used a new PSU so I know that's not the problem. I tried reseating the CPU and the ram and trying different combinations of sticks/sockets. I'm feel pretty confident it's not a RAM issue. I both removed and replaced the CMOS battery and moved the jumper, and interestingly, when I plugged the power cord in, this time the computer didn't automatically start. I pressed the power button and it started, but still blacked out. Unfortunately, it still doesn't respond when I try to shut down, I still have to pull the plug out. But at least it doesn't automatically start anymore when I plug it back in, and, I know that the power button works somewhat.

I tried booting with everything unplugged, the video card out, in every case, I get no beep to indicate the computer is booting. I know it's not my hard drive, I tried it in another computer. I tried the video card in another computer and to my surprise, the computer wouldn't start, no power or anything. I thought I might have found the problem but I tried a functional card in the first computer and, while the card seems to be getting power (fab spinning), still the same problem.

So basically, when I start up the computer, the fans go on, there is power to the drives, but the computer doesn't boot. The CPU does not heat up (yes, I checked without the heatsink, I know some don't agree with that process but it doesn't matter, it's not heating up), no signal is being sent to the monitor and there is no power to the keyboard (no lights).

I'm trying to figure out of it's the CPU that's dead but I don't know if would cause these consequences. Or if the CPU is not heating up because it's the motherboard that's faulty. Hopefully someone with experience in these matters can shed some light.

The one thing that really bugs me though is why does the power button only respond to turn the system on but no longer shuts it down? What could possibly cause that? I get the feeling that if I could resolve that, Icould probably resolve why the computer isn't booting up.

Thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Eah I'm gonna go with the motherboard is the problem.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 kelkun

kelkun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Before I go through taking it out to see if there is a short, would everything be dead if it was shorting?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Here is your Acer Aspire 5100 computers support page.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/acerpanam/de...reM5100nv.shtml

Here is a link to your computers specifications: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/...eM5100sp2.shtml

Unfortunately, acer failed to publish an owners manual on their site for this computer.

All they have is a Frequently asked questions page located here http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/...eM5100fql.shtml
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 kelkun

kelkun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. One of the first places I checked, absolutely nothing of any use there unfortunately.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Based on what you have explained in your opening post, it sounds like you said you tried your video card in another computer and that computer did not boot, I re-read that line which is on quotations here "I tried it in another computer. I tried the video card in another computer and to my surprise, the computer wouldn't start, no power or anything. I thought I might have found the problem but I tried a functional card in the first computer and, while the card seems to be getting power (fab spinning), still the same problem".

If I am reading correctly what I have put in bold above, you are saying you put the video card in another computer and that computer did not boot either.

If that is the case, the video card is the issue and may be defective, or is draining more power than you are supplying it. Make sure the card does not have a power port that is supposed to be getting power directly from the PSU and that the card is 1.5 volts and not 3.3 volts if your video card port does not support 3.3 volts.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 kelkun

kelkun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, at first I thought that would have been the problem but my computer still didn't boot with a functional video card, nor did it beep with no video card inserted. I think all I discovered was my video card was shot but that doesn't seem to be the main problem. :thumbsup:

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Is there anyway to hear the POST beeps? on board speaker or through the external speakers? In my experience if your not getting a POST beep with the board stripped (CPU, Video and memory) and a new PSU installed there is something wrong with the motherboard. If the ram was faulty or the processor lame the motherboard should Fail POST and tell you. ( I say should because strange things happen with computers a bad CPU could cause the motherboard to not POST although I have only seen this once)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 kelkun

kelkun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I guess I'll try to fix this later and if successful, use it as a spare. I'm going to get a new one.

#10 kelkun

kelkun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:21 AM

Is there anyway to hear the POST beeps? on board speaker or through the external speakers? In my experience if your not getting a POST beep with the board stripped (CPU, Video and memory) and a new PSU installed there is something wrong with the motherboard. If the ram was faulty or the processor lame the motherboard should Fail POST and tell you. ( I say should because strange things happen with computers a bad CPU could cause the motherboard to not POST although I have only seen this once)

Thanks, nope, no beeps at all. I'll buy a used MB at some point and try it out. At this point, I imagine it seems like the only logical solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users