Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help request: Weird freeze with screeching electronic sound and video artifacts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 synesthesia

synesthesia

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

hello hello! i'm a new poster, and i was not sure where to post this, since the source of the problem i havent figured out yet. sorry if its in the wrong place.

i was wondering if i could get a little help with this
i've been having some very weird crashes this weekend. it has happenned two times so far, and after a lot of googling, i've found too many possible answers.

First ill give you my setup:

Intel core2quad q9300
ocz flex2 2x2gb 1055mhz ddr2
2x caviar black 750 gb
motherboard asus maximus formula
the soundcard is an audigy2
it has a red scorpion heatsink s1283
a thermaltake purepower pro 600W PSU
and a brand new ati radeon 5850 black edition.

The computer freezes, and the speakers emit a loud, electric-like sound, and resetting is the only thing that fixes. It has happenned only twice, and the second time, also threw in some video artifacts. However, the first time freaked me out a lot more, since the computer wouldnt start up for about five minutes. (Fans would start up, but no hdd activity, and no bios beep)

I've found several possible answers: bios too old, trojan infections, registry issues, an underpowered system, etc.

i've run several psu calculators, and even if i linger at the limits, they still tell me my psu is enough.

the computer is a year and a half old, and a 9800 gtx+ i had bought for it just recently died on me. I sent the entire motherboard to be checked, afraid it might be overvolting, but it came back with the technicians saying it was working perfectly. I even had some temp issues that were fixed after the computer came back.

I'm afraid that these could be symptoms of the same thing that killed my other videocard.
i havent started up my computer again since the second incident (just after i checked it booted ok) However, this particular kind of crash has not happenned to me before.
i do not overclock, and my temp problems are long gone.

i really don't know where to start.

any help or tests i might run to narrow the possibilities down?

thanks in advance!

Edited by synesthesia, 24 May 2010 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer. :thumbsup:

First I would open the computer case to examine the cooling fans located around the computer case to make sure they are not the source of the noise.

Make sure you check the video card fan if it has one and the fans inside the power supply as well.

Make sure no wires are making contact with anyone one of the fans.

It is my hope that the noise you are hearing is not your hard drive beginning to fail, as those can make grinding noises or sound like nuts in a blender.

Please keep us informed or feel free to ask further questions if needed.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 synesthesia

synesthesia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

oh, i didnt explain that clearly enough, sorry for the rusty english, i just made a quick edit to that part.
the noise is not coming from the computer, but from the speakers, its a loud electrical sound, as if the signal became saturated.

Edited by synesthesia, 24 May 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#4 synesthesia

synesthesia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

after running a few more psu calculators, i see i need about 550W of power supply. The PSU, as well as the whole computer, with the exception of one hdd and the video card, is two years old. Could it be that the psu wattage is reduced by usage? the computer is heavily used, both for gaming and work. Should i upgrade or replace my PSU?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thank you for correcting your post so it is a bit clearer as to what your problem is.

The Asus web site has a PSU versus peripheral calculater at this link http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalcula...SLanguage=en-us
This power supply wattage calculator aims to provide a general idea for the selection of power supply unit based on the system configuration with all added-on devices and components. The recommended power wattage figure is calculated based on the peak or maximum utilization power consumption of installed devices or components. Please ensure to use power supply unit capable of outputting over the calculated recommended wattage to prevent system instability, random reset, unexpected shutdown, or similar problems caused due to insufficient power.

There have been some issues with audio artifacts showing up on the speakers of Asus motherboards with on-board sound that use Realtek audio. It can at times sound like electronic pulses coming from the speakers.

This can be caused by the cd or dvd audio wire passing by a poorly filtered section of the motherboard to the cd audio it might be labled CD1 port on the motherboard to where it attaches to the back of the cd/dvd drive. Try routing it through in a different location from the motherboard to the drive and see if the noise goes away. (Note: this is the 3 wired one)

If you are using the SPDIF wire to the cd/dvd drive re-route that on as well.

Good luck.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 May 2010 - 11:42 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Since you indicated in your first post that your current video card is new, I would suspect that first. Can you run for a few days with your previous video card to see if the freezes stop? It could simply be that the new video card is not compatible with the rest of your system or it could mean you need a BIOS update to support the video card.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 synesthesia

synesthesia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

okey, im getting very mixed messages with other support guys.
The asus psu calculator has been by far the one that asked more: A 600W supply.

However, i've been in contact with customer support of black edition cards, and they told me it was almost impossible for my setup to consume that much power.

I still lean to psu problems though, dont know why.

The realtek card from asus died on mey shortly after i bought the computer, and i changed it with an audigy 2.

Though i hear no audio artifacts during work, only during those unexpected, screeching shutdowns. (Which havent repeated, but i've actively avoided using my computer afraid it might happen again)

and, regarding the other post, yes, i've been instructed to do a bios update too, i'll do it in a while. And i cant really use y old video card, because it died on me. It was a 9800gtx and it lasted less than 2 years. that doesnt sound like that a healthy lifespan for any vga card.

If i am indeed having psu problems, how deteriorating can that be to the components, physically?

#8 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

What were you doing when the computer locked up on you? I know you said you got rid of any overheating problems, but they might be okay at idle and get hot under a load? I know a lot of people have problems with ATI catalyst and getting the fan settings right. The video card might be idling just fine but overheat under a load due to improperly configured settings in catalyst.

What operating system are you running?

#9 synesthesia

synesthesia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

the first time, it was idling, itunes was the only thing running
the second time, it was running tf2, wwhich doesnt ask for much.

My temp issues seem to be gone, now they hardly climb over the 60 degree mark.

i'm running windowss 7 64bit

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

I was refered to a great site by one of our Advisor staff members and I was very impressed with the troubleshooting tips on this site, so I have started recommending it to others. :thumbsup:

Check this site out, it might provide you with some things to try that will point out what your problem is.

If not bookmark it anyways as it has a lot of useful resources. :flowers:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.html

Please enjoy! :trumpet:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 May 2010 - 09:16 AM.

#11 Showny

Showny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Nvm.

Edited by Showny, 02 June 2010 - 09:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users