Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bandwidth control

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

hi, i was wondering if their is a way to limit the bandwidth speed of a computer on my wireless network becuase my roomate is on it all day (no exageration) and we have a 1 mb connection which is really slow so is there a way to limit his bandwidth usage
Note my router is both the modem and router

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

The simple answer is no. This question gets asked alot. My suggestion is you both get your own internet connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

okay at least i know now thanks :thumbsup:

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

I know, not what you wanted to hear. You can do it but those routers are kinda pricey. Above $250 new.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

or is their a way to make my xbox 360 concede or have the in the hightest priority in packets speed?

#6 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

QoS might be what you are looking for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Depending on what router you have, you might be able to set up your xbox to have priority over the other connections. I was able to set up my vonage device that way. I hooked my Vonage device into my router, but the voice quality would go out the window when the internet was being used. By using QoS I was able to set the vonage device to the highest priority and the problem is solved. It's pretty cool. On my linksys router it was pretty easy to figure out.

What router do you have? Please include the make and model.

#7 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

router is a actiontec gateway provided by my isp verizon model GT704WG

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:05 AM

QoS won't work. But

#9 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

but what...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users