Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OKI CX233 hell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi everyone,

We just opened a new Real Estate office and bought an oki data network printer which uses CFIS to scan to network folders. There are several operating systems across 15 users from XP to Windows7. Contrary to my fears, windows 7 was a doddle to setup and the network folders setup with no problem, I was using vista 32 bit, my colleague 64 bit and another xp.

I know to turn password protected sharing off so that the printer can access the designated shared folder with write enabled privelage because I done it on my vista 32 bit no problem. After setting up 6 - windows 7 computers and a couple of vista 32 bit systems I thought I had it sussed and was rubbing my hands together somewhat proud, until I tried the XP and Vista 64 bit systems...

I am sure I done all the right stuff on the computers, setting up the folder for write enabled sharing in the root directory. I even shared the folder with "Everyone" in the permissions tab just in case. I setup the profile on the printer with the url as //<computer name>/MFPShare which worked on every other system I networked. When I performed a test scan as before, the printer pulled the paper into the ADF and immediately cancelled the scan and displayed;

Transmission Cancelled
Check DNS settings

This happened 3 times

I swore a little and proceeded to delve back into the profile for that agent to see what I had missed. I couldn't find anything obvious and decided to re enter the path after confirming the computer names and workgroups were the same and tried changing text case...same result Check DNS settings. I changed the workgroup on the computer in question and thought I ensured all had been configured properly to allow the folder to be found.

I poured over the net but most of the stuff was cfis with active domain and there is not much out there on the web about this error. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? The manual on cd does not cover this problem under troubleshooting and the company who sold it made it known at purchase that networking was up to the buyer. I have tried logging into the printer to see if there is anything there that would suggest a workgroup membership incase the two troublesome computers were on a different workgroup which could be causing the issue. I logged into the router to see if there was anything there that could provide a clue but nothing seems to solve the problem.

I have no idea how to join these 2 op systems..
any help would be much appreciated.

ALL ideas warmly welcomed
Darren De Wilde

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 24 May 2010 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like a doozie! I've had more trouble with XP and networked printing than I'd like. While XP is a breeze to network between computers, printers have been different. I know you're trying to scan, but it should be fairly similar in setup. My HP photosmart will only work if I install the whole software suite onto my pc - which I'm actually not willing to do. With the wife's laptop (Vista 32) it's a breeze - built in drivers work great! Print quality is excellent. Vista 64 is probably the same thing as XP - you'll need the factory drivers. People have hated Vista because of the 64bit driver issues. While it says to check DNS settings, they're obviously working on your other PCs.

Have you installed the factory software? That would be where I would start with the XP PC. I didn't find a CX233 on their site - is that the correct info?

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

I think I may not have setup windows network wizard on the xp machine as I joined another xp system today no glitches. I will post back with the result.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

YHB 318 - Thanks for the reply. I am determined to solve the problem. I installed the driver from the cd but there is no suite to setup. I know its probably something very simple that I need to change or configure that I forgot to do on these two particular machines. Either way, I will post back with the problem and how when I solve the issues.

64 bit is a pain thats for sure. I might have to go on the site and download the driver from there as the cd ones are usually out dated by a version or two since the disc has been laying about for a while waiting for the machine to be purchased, just thought of that now. thanks for your input..:-)

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

Dadgum wizards! The wizard will make sure file and printer sharing is turned on, although you probably couldn't have created a network share without it being turned on.

I doubt driver release version is as important as finding the digitally signed drivers required for 64bit. But the more I think of this, it's not actually acting as a printer/scanner. It's really just copying stuff over the network, right? Can you connect to that same share from other PCs?

Edited by YHB318, 25 May 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#6 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

It must be a password share issue on the other two comps or that the shared scan folder on the comps is not shared with everyone - I setup another xp computer today relatively easily so I will be attacking the other two comps again when the users come in again and will post back...as always the most simple of things forgotten can create total nightmares.

Darren De Wilde
RE/MAX Prestige

#7 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Any luck? How did it work out?

#8 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

YHB318,

Hi there,
Sorry it took longer than usual to reply, lots and lots going on and not enough time in the day...it turned out to be a very simple problem that was overlooked by both me and the OKI tech support person I was working with. The issue was that the network path was formatted as //<comp name/folder which was invalid and causing a DNS error. The format like all network paths should have been \\<comp name>\folder.

Thanks so much for the replies and ideas, this thread is closed now.

Darren De Wilde

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 14 June 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#9 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Nice work! I have a love/hate relationship with easy fixes like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users