Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static IP address required

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi there,
I recently set up a trivial network consisting of ethernet and wireless access to a wireless dsl router through a 16 port gigabit switch. One of the devices is an office printer on an ethernet connection.

Since the setup for the network is currently DHCP by default I noticed that after testing the emergency lighting (township requirement) by powering off from the breaker, the router re-assigned ip addresses when the power came back on. Since I am the only one in the entire place who knows about computers full stop, I was inundated with cries of not being able to print. Not being any kind of network expert I realized that the printer ip address had been given to another computer so when someone wanted to print, the result was alot of waiting and no action. I learnt quickly that I had to point each computer to the new ip address of the printer according to the router status and new ip address of the device. Not a big deal but a pain in the neck, esp if it happens again and I am not there to fix it.

I wondered if assigning a static ip to the printer would eliminate having to go to individual computers should a power outage or similar issue occur. Since it is a real estate office it is hard to get everyone together. If assigning a static ip address would help how do i do it when all the comps on the subnet are dhcp by default. I know how to get into both the router and the printer but not sure what to do or how to do it.

I hope all that read this will be able to understand what I mean. Users of the system generally range from xp vista and windows 7 based systems.

thank you.
Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:31 AM

You should be able to set aside a range say 192.168.1.50-100 for the users and keep some free for the static address (so DHCP wont hand those out and do an IP conflict. It should depend on your router abilities. I know with the Cisco 1700s and better you can do that.

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Depending on the router You can surf into the GUI and see what the range of IPs are that it can give out. Then pick an IP well above that. For the address 192.168.1.x with a mask of 255.255.255.0 X can be 2 - 254( technically its 0 - 255 but 0 is the network, 255 is broadcast and 1 is normally the router) so pick a high number like 150 or something.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

You are definitely spot on with this. Any device on a network that will be accessed by multiple people should have a static IP. Go to the router first and look at the DHCP settings. All of the routers today allow you to adjust this but most of them start giving out addresses at 100 (meaning something like 192.168.1.100) and up to the max users you have set up. If that is the case then the router is usually either setup to be .1 or .2 and you can assign any address between there and the first assigned DHCP address with no issues. Then just go back and point the computers to the new IP. :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users