Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

security, sure, but where are the users rights here in 2010?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi Folks,
Most of you may already know this who use the unlocker utility (and I find it rather handy). Well, discovery yesterday, it is detected by some security programs (MSE as Trojan, and NOD32 as Adware in particular), but there is one problem with this detection. I wouldn't call it a false positive per-se, but I'd call it more of a take-away of the user's rights. The only reason that it is detected is because of a clearly optional component that automatically starts up IE and redirects the user to www.ebay.com. What right do security programs have flagging programs due to optional components? I don't understand it, and I'd seriously recommend that the above companies reconsider their decision. Let me know what you here in this community think, and I'll certainly complain myself if you'd like.

Regards,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Basically your complaining about how they detect certain viruses. They are not gonna compromise just cause it may detect something you may deem as "safe". Seriously you should not be so mad at how they detect problems they do not have time to download everything for your convenient and test it. If you want just add it to exceptions or use a different av if your so upset about how they try to protect you....

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the input. Maybe next time, I won't sound so forward. I just fly off the handle on occasion, and most often, it is about stupid things that can easily be taken care of like you said. Oops, my total bad.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users