Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VSS Error.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 intarest

intarest

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

I have been getting a repeated (hopefully non-critical) error reported in my Event Viewer, which refers to a VSS problem accessing a volume on my PC. Microsoft have published a solution for this generic situation, but this involves running a small command line instruction which refers to the root of the volume concerned. I have a number of local drive partitions & a few externally mounted drives, but need to know how I can "translate" the symbolic link quoted within the error message, and therefore quote the correct drive reference when running the correction.

In my specific example the volume is identified as a long string of binary, enclosed within {}.

So my question is, is there some easy way of translating this information, ie is there a log somewhere which retains / displays the detail ?

Many thanks & best regards,

Intarest.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Are you having any problems with your computer?
I'm asking, because an average computer will have a bunch of errors listed in event viewer.
Unless you're having some problems, there is no reason to dig around event viewer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

"Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{829e776d-6395-11df-bad9-001d929ad7fa}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again."

Regards,

Intarest.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

You never answered my question.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Sorry, rude of me but I hoped that detail of the actual message may explain a little further. Long story short, I unfortunately contracted a case of extremely pernicious malware, and despite the best efforts of the support staff at Eset etc, it seemed that it would not get dislodged. However, I did get some tremendous support from the malware forum on this site, and following a pretty intense process the problem was removed.

The final part of this solution was to run Combofix, which you will appreciate is a fairly intense piece of kit, and although it seemed to do the trick, I keep on getting little "niggles" with things which were not previously a problem, ie odd changes to file permissions / Windows Explorer "glitches" (it just stops & re-starts for no specific reason) / heavy CPU sometimes etc, etc.

So, I guess I may be a little "sensitive" to problems at present, but I have always kept my eye on the Event Viewer for any odd warning messages, and the one I just posted has started to pop up every day now.

So, I guess that explains the basis for my original question, although it would also be fair to report that the only problem / niggle I really have at present is the unexplained stops / re-starts of Windows Explorer, for which Microsoft hasn't actually reported any suggested solutions.

Intarest.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

See, if this will solve your issue: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is actually the fix that I mentioned in my original post. As you can see, it involves running a short "permissions" command, but to do it successfully you need to ensure that you enter the correct root letter, ie C:\ or D:\ etc.

As per my original question, I will be comfortable following the Microsoft advice, but need some advice as to how I can "translate" the volume which appears in my error message, into a physical entity, ie what volume is \\?\Volume{829e776d-6395-11df-bad9-001d929ad7fa}\ ? I do have quite a number of local & remote drives attached, and want to make sure I trace the actual one that is being reference in the error message.

Best Regards,

Intarest.

NB, needless to say, I have run the command with the "obvious" drive referenced, ie C:\, but it doesn't seem to have corrected the error. I think it is more likely to be either an attached external drive, or possibly one of my recovery partitions - but which one ?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

You did it correctly.
If Windows is installed on C drive, then C:\ will be volume root directory.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

is the unexplained stops / re-starts of Windows Explorer

Can you elaborate on the above?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Broni. Just out of interest, how can you tell that the symbolic link concerned actually refers to my C:\ drive ?

The repeated Windows Explorer error has left this information behind :-

Product
Windows Explorer

Problem
Stopped working

Date
25/05/2010 11:07

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Application Timestamp: 49e01da5
Fault Module Name: FFSJSHL.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48834794
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 06d633d4
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1456451668

I am getting this problem at least once a day, and it does not appear to be associated with any particular programme or activity. Windows Explorer just says that it needs to re-start.

I have of course posted the fault up to Microsoft via the standard Vista error reporting tool, but to date I have received no feedback.

Intarest.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

how can you tell that the symbolic link concerned actually refers to my C:\ drive ?

As long as Windows is installed on C drive, C:\ is your root folder.

Do you have The Fastest File Splitter and Joiner program installed?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hi Broni. Yes I do. Is that a problem ?

Best regards,

Intarest.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

That's what explorer crash indicates:

Fault Module Name: FFSJSHL.dll_unloaded

I suggest, you uninstall it and see, if this solves the problem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 Catherine Sea

Catherine Sea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hi intarest,

I recommend you try SourceAnywhere for VSS, an add-on tool of SourceSafe, for remote access of VSS database. It's much faster and securer.
http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/SAW_Overview.aspx

Regards,

#15 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but having looked at their website, I don't think it will actually serve to correct the errors that I am experiencing. I don't actually "use" VSS per se as a software tool; it is just part of the Vista internal operating environment. Something is (still) kicking off the errors I originally reported, on the hour, every hour, but as it does not appear to be causing any further repercussions elsewhere, I decided to act on Broni's original advice, and just ignore it. Just another one of those (potentially countless) Microsoft error messages, which doesn't actually mean anything significant.

Best Regards,

Intarest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users