Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeat or Connect To network just barely out of range?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lwt103

lwt103

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Greetings!

I used to live in a school dorm with unencrypted wireless access for students. After connecting, the first time we'd open a browser we'd be taken to a page to authenticate, which would then grant us access to actually use the network. For my sophomore year I have moved to an apartment just across the street from the dorm. From up in my room I no longer see the signal from my laptop, but from the bench just outside my window on my ground below, I can see it and connect. Is there some device I can purchase that might pick up the signal better than an integrated wireless card in a laptop and then allow me to use it? I initially thought of a wireless repeater, but you're supposed to put those halfway between the trouble spot and the broadcast device...would it work at all or as well on the fringe of the trouble spot? Or is there something else I should look into? Thanks a ton for any advice you can give.

--Levi

Edited by lwt103, 24 May 2010 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Well you'd need someone in the dorm willing to allow you to set it up because you need the signal to be broadcast a bit more. You could build a cantenna. Google pringles can antenna you'll find lots of sites on how to build it and show you how well they work. That way you could aim it right at your apartment lol.

But yes you could buy a wireless repeater and put it in the closest dorm to your building and it should get you a signal inside your place.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users