Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't recognize a disk in my DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LBJackal

LBJackal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

My DVD burner used to work for all DVD's and CD's, but now it won't recognize any of them. My CD burner (a different drive) works fine though. I unplugged the Master IDE from the working CD Drive and plugged it into the DVD drive (which was formerly Slave) and that didn't wortk either... so I don't think it was a loose/faulty connection. And there is power going to the DVD drive. But the damned thing won't spin, and is never recognized anymore.

Has anybody run into this before? Is my DVD burner dead? If so, it'd be good to know because they're on sale at the local electronics store for $80 CDN. If it's not dead I could try to fix it, but I've tried a lot and nothing's worked. It came with a sound cable or something, but I never plugged it in, and it worked without it so I never bothered. Would that be part of the problem? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:13 PM

Rom drives have been known to just quit working without notice. You can try to enter the Device Manager and remove it then restart your computer and let windows reload it, perhaps the drivers are corrupted.

No the little audio wire does not need to be connected and will not cause the drive not to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users