Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't turn on (CPU, power cord problem)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tim2286

tim2286

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Background: I have two computers, one computer's internet didn't work so to find out what was wrong I moved the CPU of PC 2 to where PC 1 is and used PC 1's keyboard, mouse, and power cord. Everything worked fine, I found out what the problem is and returned everything to its place.

Problem: When I connected the power cord to PC 1 (its own power cord that was temporarily used by PC 2), it stopped turning on. There is a green light that comes on when the computer is connected to the power supply (just below the slot for the cord). That green light was off when the cord wasn't connected, then when I did connect it the green light started flashing. When I unplug the cord it still flashes but at a slower and slower rate until it stops. Tried connected PC 2's power cord to PC 1 and same thing happens.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2010 - 05:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

was about to say, the question is in the wrong forum, but it was already moved thank you hamluis

EDIT: if that matter at all PC 1 - XP, PC 2 - Vista

Edited by tim2286, 24 May 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

First question, did you accidently hit the power switch on the PSU to off? If there is no switch there, then dis-regard.

What is PSU's manufactuer and model number?

Did you try un-plugging the power cord for a few minutes and then try plugging it back in again to see if this re-sets the PSU?

Also make sure you did not damage the 3rd pin in the AC power jack, this is an Earth ground and a ground fault could be what the flashing is all about.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

The PC is pretty old, I was planning on getting a replacement in the next coupla months, the deadline is moving up though becuase of this issue. It is a COmpaq presario SR1401NX.

I tried leaving it in there but that hasn't worked yet. So I did unplug will wait about 15-30 mins to see what will happen

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

OK sometimes computers can last a long time even if they do get old and out-dated and can not run the memory intensive programs available today.

LOL, I recently gave my Son an old Commodore 64 computer console that still worked, wanna talk about old. :thumbsup:

At age 25 he likes collecting those old Nintendo/Saga/Colleco console game machines and all those old cartidges that came with them.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 May 2010 - 06:52 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

There is a green light that comes on when the computer is connected to the power supply (just below the slot for the cord). That green light was off when the cord wasn't connected, then when I did connect it the green light started flashing. When I unplug the cord it still flashes but at a slower and slower rate until it stops.

I have seen those exact same symptoms: The PSU had died in my case, and a replacement fixed the problem.

Is it possible for you to swap the PSU from the other computer to confirm this in your case?

Regards
'Alien
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Commodore 64 is way before my time, my first pc was win 98 :flowers:

So I plugged it in and same thing happened, i think it is totally done. I partially know what the problem is: sometime ago it would freeze and I could do nothing but pull the plug to get to turn off and then on. After doing that a couple of times, it stopped turning on when I plugged the power cable back in. Then I had to shimmy it in, out, left, right until I saw that green light (not blinking green but a stable green :thumbsup: ) so ......

@australien: I would rather not mess with the new computer, if it doesn't work in the next couple of days it will go in the trash (not literaily obviously)

just got rid of another PC that was collecting dust, wish I still had it for the switch-PSU method. THe PSU on that one was perfect, unlike this one

Edited by tim2286, 24 May 2010 - 07:16 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

I partially know what the problem is: sometime ago it would freeze and I could do nothing but pull the plug to get to turn off and then on. After doing that a couple of times, it stopped turning on when I plugged the power cable back in. Then I had to shimmy it in, out, left, right until I saw that green light (not blinking green but a stable green :thumbsup: ) so ......

Sounds like the Male power supply port on the PSU is faulty, (The one the AC power cord plugs into) usually a $5.00 part from a store like Radio Shack, but then again, I am one of those people who majored in the electronics field, so replacing one of those is easy for me. Plus I have a lot of spare junk laying around my work shop. :flowers:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 May 2010 - 07:26 PM.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

usually a $5.00 part from a store like Radio Shack, but then again, I am one of those people who majored in the electronics field, so replacing one of those is easy for me. Plus I have a lot of spare junk laying around my work shop. :flowers:

I know the feeling :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users