Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall query

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Having used Firewalls for many years, I am not aware that they update regularly like other programs - never seen an update pop-up.

I use Comodo Firewall Pro - v3 and cannot remember seeing an update panel.

It is confused at present since Comodo blended the Firewall in with their AV to become Comodo IS - v4. They do put an update pop-up on screen for my v3 Firewall, but it is for CIS - v4 complete and I do not want it. I have tried their Firewall only in v4 five times and it does not work. Ceases to function after a few minutes. So I have to re-install the old v3, which does work.

I have told Comodo about this Firewall failure in detail, but have had no reply other than they are looking into it.

1. Do Firewalls update ?
2. Any clues why CIS - v4 Firewall fails every time, with or without the AV complete package ?

Many thanks
John Bull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

I would assume its because most firewalls, at least with Comodo is just a list of rules which define what is allowed (and for comodo at least the way i have mine setup is rules i designed to my liking). So i would say firewalls themselves dont update (someone correct me if im wrong) but the software/program does get updates. I know comodo is constantly updating its anti-virus and every allert that pops up saying XXX is trying to connect, allow, block, or ignore is a part of the firewall "update"

Also is V4 a paid one? or still free? Mine is V3.13 and it does like you said work fine

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#3 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

I would assume its because most firewalls, at least with Comodo is just a list of rules which define what is allowed (and for comodo at least the way i have mine setup is rules i designed to my liking). So i would say firewalls themselves dont update (someone correct me if im wrong) but the software/program does get updates. I know comodo is constantly updating its anti-virus and every allert that pops up saying XXX is trying to connect, allow, block, or ignore is a part of the firewall "update"

Also is V4 a paid one? or still free? Mine is V3.13 and it does like you said work fine

-Scott

Hi Scott,

V4 is still a freebie. The reply from them came from one of their qualified help-team.
I like the look of CIS-v4, it has AV, Firewall and a Sandbox, it seems a good package, but the Firewall fails every time.
As the full CIS-v3 has worked perfectly for years with me, then a 5 year old could deduct that the problem is with their v4.
My system has not changed - THEIRS has.

I cannot update my v3 Firewall as the only update is their crappy v4. I have stopped their pop-up by unchecking the update notification box.
If I get too puked off, I will simply use AVG9 plus another highly respected free Firewall, several exist just qs good as Comodo.

Thanks Scott.

#4 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

I use Agnitum's Outpost Pro (version 7 just released) and it updates hourly. I dont install any of its optional extras except 'web control' which I personally think is the best ad blocker available. As to the FW its as easy to use as it is effective.
-
I am not in any way affiliated to them or any other service.

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#5 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Does Agnitum's Outpost Pro Come with a free version? What i see is 30 day trials which i might just grab and toss on a virtual PC to test it out.

-Scott
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#6 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

Hi Scott, Yes it comes with a free version, only the paid one comes with what I described with a fully functioning trial period. Mine has lifetime updates meaning I only pay for it once. I recommend not using its antispyware feature.

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#7 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

HI Scott,

Been using Outpost free here for around 2 yrs. now works great, seems to update occasionally but nowhere near what the paid version does. If you install it my suggestion is while it is in Auto-Learn mode is to go thru your program list and open and close them a few times it force feeds Outpost your programs making popups fewer later on. My only other suggestion is if you have no HIPS feature on any other programs is to Install WinPatrol free, has a superb HIPS with excellent features: Start up manager, delay start, cookies and may more useful parts helping you manage most computer functions.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users