Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main HD Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmarz

dmarz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

I just completed my first pc build which was a experience!

I now have a beast of a machine running Win7 but i want to put in my old HD which is vista so that i can retrieve files off of the drive.

I've looked all over and cannot seem to find anything that tells what to do with a drive that has an OS already on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi dmarz :huh: to BC :huh:

So all you should have to do is hook it up (while the computer is off obviously) :thumbup2: and then it should work and you should be able to retrieve all of your files off of it and if you want you can format it and make it into a backup drive. :inlove:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 dmarz

dmarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sounds easy enough....so i can just take it out and put it into my new computer and it'll automatically be read?

Hopefully that's all thats needed so i don't have to go through too much to get it to read and lose no data. :huh:

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

yeah it should. :huh: If it trys to boot into vista then shut down the computer then go into bios and change your boot order to your other hard drive. :huh:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 dmarz

dmarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Alrighty i'll give it a shot..thanks for the help!

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

Yep, no problem glad to be of assistants be sure to post how it all goes and if it worked. :huh:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users