Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help installing new RAM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:59 PM

hi, i just bought 512 mg of DDR-SDRAM
do i have to take my old ram out or can i add on to it?
also after i put it in and i turn on my computer will there be some kind of installation wizard or will it just work automatically?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:59 PM

o ya and i meant mb of ram not mg lol

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

Not just any RAM will work. You need to make sure the RAM you purchased is compatible with your computer.

If it is then you can add it to what you already have, it will need to be same as what is already there.

No there will be drivers or anything to install after starting, your system will see it and you will be ready to go.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

would you please tell us what kind of computer you have, and how much RAM is in it now. If this isn't built by a manufacturer, what motherboard does it have please.

If you know that your motherboard will take another 512MB of RAM, and that the module is compatible, try the link I've provided. In the article they discuss grounding youself so that there are no eletrostatic discharge problems, you can usually do this by grabbing hold of the metal side of the case before you handle any of the components. Leave the module in its plastic bag until your ready to use it, the bag protects the module from ESD. Follow the other instructions, make sure that the module is secure in its socket, and you shouldn't need to do anything else.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

umm i ahve a compaq presario pentium 4 with 256 mb ddr-sdram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users