Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I get Command Prompt To Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Henry D

Henry D

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hello:

I am new to program and deisgn and I am working form a Video tutorial while I am using the operating system Windows XP. I am trying to use the command prompt feature. In this video tutorial the instructor is using operating system Windows Vista.

In opening command prompt I find there is a differnce in the first line of the coding in eighter operating systems.

In windows XP the first line in the coding displays as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Henry>

In Vista the first line appears as follows:

C:User\Henry

When using command prompt In XP I have this first line by default:

C:\Documents and Settings \Henry>

From there I add the following cd\

Which makes the line look like this

C:\Documents and Setings\Henry>cd \

Then hit enter and type in the next line:

C:\cd cs

Then hit the Tab key. From there all of my information should display in command prompt. Nothing happens.

While the instructor in the tutorial manages to use command prompt while using Vista I trying to duplicate the same using Windows XP. But I do not get the same results as the video instruction does. This is the first step in the command prompt process I am trying to work with. There are more commands to come in the program. Is there some way that I can adjust the coding in the first line that appears in the command prompt window so I can begin to work with the command prompt feature.

Please, all feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hello Henry,

It looks like the video is asking you to change directories ( the cd command). After you type "cd cs", you need to press enter, not tab, as that will tell the operating system to execute that command. As a side note, you may want to be sure that the folder named 'cs' exists on your computer. If not, you can create a new folder with that name by typing "md cs" and pressing enter.

Hope this helps.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

cd cs and press tab will auto-complete the name of folder starting with CS. Check if you have a folder on C:\ in which starting two letters in name are CS

#4 Henry D

Henry D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hello All:

In your responces I believe that I am working with a cs file. In the programming language that I am getting farmiliar with the file ends in cs and appears called master.cs. I have tried all the alternitves as presented in ajusting the coding but command prompt does not execute in the cs file. The farthest that I've come to executing the file is just having the repetition of the same commands.

So I'd just like to say thanks agian for all the input.

#5 webgeekkc

webgeekkc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi Henry,

I looked a little further and found that files with the extension of CS can be from several different programs. (Link to the site I use to look these up is http://filext.com/). In that list and from your comments, is the programming language you're learning C or C++, or a variety similar to that? You may want to post into one of the other forums more specific to a programming language rather than the general Windows XP forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users