Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp, Sony or Toshiba laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hdansjr

hdansjr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

so after a few weeks of seraching I thought I had my top four choices. After even more research today I found a few articles about how HP laptops are a good value for the money and are good in quality (which is what is opposite to what i have already read and what friends have told me). So here's my question do you feel that some of the brands (hp, sony, tosbiba for example) are the same in quality? are we just paying more for the name/design?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

I'm no expert with these things, but I think for the most part people become attached to certain brands based on what they have used in the past. As much as they may swear by these brands, there is usually little hard evidence to support their opinions. Having said that, different brands and models do have different build qualities, and some brands (such as Apple Mac) tend to be more expensive than others.

Personally, I find that expert reviews, like CNET, are helpful up to a point. But what is most helpful to me is to read as many user reviews of the computer as possible. Certain issues will come up time and time again in these reviews, and with any luck you will land on a computer who's recurrent issue is minor or of no concern to you.

With regards to the prices and quality of the various brands, it appears that brands evolve over the years. Right now, for instance, Sony has a great line of CW 14" laptops at very reasonably prices, while ASUS has some great 17" desktop replacements. A year or two back Dell had a good range of M1330 (along with the brother m1530) laptops, but they are no longer available.

Not sure if any of that was very helpful, but just my two cents worth ;)

Edited by Ajaxanon, 24 May 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#3 udibar

udibar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

I can only say that my HP laptop has been plagued by problems from the get-go. In the year and a half I've owned it it has bricked five times.
The service was prompt , and I did buy an extended warranty which I don't normally go for, so I've been able to get it fixed, but all in all, I would never buy another laptop from HP.
I'm told the motherboards are imported, and that they have had serious quality control issues. Every time it bricks I need to reload all my software, I loose beaucoup data and my blood pressure soars.
If this will be your primary system, don't go HP

#4 csebasti

csebasti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

I don't normally have a strong opinion one way or another about specific brands, but since you mentioned HP, and are looking for opinions, I feel the need to reply.

I have an HP Laptop (dv6119us). I have really liked the design of the laptop, and the specs have served me well. However, I will never buy another HP product again no matter what. And it is all due to their lack of customer service. My laptop has a defective GPU which causes it to overheat and cause other components in the computer to fail. After confirming through HP's website that my computer was in fact defective and getting extensive information from http://hplies.com/index.php about this issue, I called them for support. I called directly to their upper support personnel, who confirmed that they had indeed sold me a defective product. But they absolutely refused to fix it at no cost despite the fact that they had won a settlement against nvidia to cover the costs of repairs of these defective laptops.

I spent countless hours and months fighting them over it after reading numerous stories from other people in the same boat who had actually gotten the free repair after significant time and effort. I never had any luck, and the computer continued to go downhill until it was unusable.

To make matters worse, the computers that they did "fix" were no better off. HP replaced the motherboards in these computers with the same defective parts, then gave a 90 day warranty knowing full well that the GPU would overheat and cause more catastrophic failures in the near future, but most likely not until after the 90 day warranty expired.

So, the lesson learned? HP does not care at all about its customers. In fact, my service rep flat out told me they didn't care if I never bought another product from them again. I don't know about you, but I don't think that's any way to do business...

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users