Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get a wireless mouse to work with Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

HELP! :huh:
I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop that's a little over 1 yr old running Widows Vista Home Premium with both SP1 and SP2 installed.
I've tried 3 different wireless optical mouse's and I cant get one to work. The device manager finds it when I turn it
on and plug the receiver thing in the USB port, says that it needs to install drivers for it. It will find the drivers
automatic and install them but the mouse still wont work. Then sometimes I get some sort of error message
saying something about a damaged ini. file or inf. file or something like that.
A couple of the mouse's I've tried there could be something wrong with since I got them off of eBay and they came
from China. But one of them I got at Radio Shack. I got 2 of the Radio Shack ones and gave one to my sister for
her Toshiba laptop and her's works fine. But I got the same weird thing with mine that I got with the cheap ones from
China. My assistance coverage and tec help has just expired too, of course, so I cant get any help from Dell tec
assistance either.
I've tried finding and installing drivers for a wireless optical mouse but it still wont work. I just tried using the wireless
mouse again. When I plugged the receiver thing in the USB port I got the pop-up box that says, "Found new hardware"
"Windows needs to install driver software for your unknown device". Then the usual locate and install drivers,, or
Ask me again later,, or Don't show this message again. I selected the Locate and install drivers, and it does its thing.
After it installs the drivers I get the little pop-up that says, "unidentified device drivers installed correctly". But the mouse
still wont work. I don't get how it can say the "drivers installed correctly" when it also says they are for a "unidentified
device". :thumbsup:
I hate trying to use the built in touch pad for the mouse so I got one of those mini-mouse on the retractable wire
things. It works OK but its a pain in the butt when I need to move my laptop. Anybody have any idea of what's wrong
with this thing and how to fix it? I'm sure its not a problem with the mouse so its got to be something with the Windows
Vista, right? Thanks everybody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

ok here is what i need you to do go to start-->control panel-->administrative tools--> device manager and then take a screen shot of it.

To do the screen shot follow this guide here--> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...amp;#entry89921

With the wireless mouse plugged in. :thumbsup:

also what is the manufacture of the mouse?

Edited by computerxpds, 24 May 2010 - 03:23 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Found device manager in the controle panel instead of in the admin tools. Hope its the right one since it took me for ever to get the screen shot thing to work for it. :thumbsup:
The mouse is a JetTech 2.4G wireless optical mouse that I got off of eBay. When I got it, it wasn't even in a package or had any info with it. It was just in a cheap paper packet with a string tie holding it closed. The first one was mashed and looked like a forklift had run over it and I had to have them send me a second one. The mouse isn't all that fancy and was only a couple of bucks, but it should still work with my Dell since it works with my sisters old Toshiba from Wal Mart.
I took back the one that I got at Radio Shack before I got this one off of eBay to try out.
Here's the screen shot of the device manager. I don't know what your looking for here so I also took captures of the properties popup info thing.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

So, hello? Anybody in there? Its been a week since I asked for a little help and posted the information that was asked for and I still haven't got a reply from anybody. I thought this was the place to get help for things like this so why hasn't anybody helped me? Is it because its something so simple that anybody should be able to figure it out so its not worth giving an answer and I'm just too stupid to see what it is?

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

thats good Colorado, a good old computers drive me nuts rant.

ok lets try again. first i would uninstall the unknown device from device manager. also uninstall both USB browser mouse entries from device manager. shut down your computer. plug in the USB receiver. power on the computer and let windows do the install again.

other things to look for: check batteries in mouse to make sure they are good
try a different USB port

error messages are important so if you encounter any write them down word for word and post back

#6 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi
OK, now I'm screwed. I uninstalled the two USB mouse drivers in the device manager and restarted the computer with the wireless mouse reciever plugged in. It tried to install the drivers for it then a pop up window said that it couldn't in stall them or they wouldn't work because of a missing or damaged INF file or something like that. I was going to copy what it said to the notepad and found that now niether one of the mouse's work, the wireless still wont and now my mini mouse with the retractable wire that plugs into the USB2 port wont work. It tried to install the drivers for it and failed. Now I only have the laptops mouse pad and its all messed up and only works intermitantly and is being a big spazz. I tried to run system restore to a restore point set last week when it did a Windows up date. The restore failed.
The window popup that said something about a damaged or missing INF file didn't have a error code or anything like that. It disapered before I could get what it said coppied.
So now what? The mouse pad barely works ocaisonaly in sperts and is screwed up. The mini wire mouse that was working fine before is no longer working and the driver install fails everytime I try it. Sorry about getting sarcastic and going on a rant before. But now, thanks a lot. What was a minor anoying problem has now become a major problem that makes it almost impossible to use my computer.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

now it sounds like windows is screwing with you. shut down, take the wireless mouse out of the equation, plug in the mini and start up. hopefully that one will install.
if inf error again WAIT .... i just hit on this thread which may be right up your alley,
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/686991.htm

#8 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Caperdog
Thanks for the response. I fallowed the link to the thread and read through it. Most of it seems to be the same as what's happened to me and my laptop. My problem could be related to one that I had several months ago around Nov last yr. I had been having a problem with my system locking up and the DVD disc drive quit working. I had tec coverage from Dell at that time and a couple of times I had to let them take control of my system by remote and they did something to it. After a couple of tries things got back pretty much to normal. I started having a whole new set of quirks and problems after that. Any who, the Dell tec did something that changed a lot of something. I know, not much help, but that's about all that I can remember from then. :thumbsup:
The update that was mentioned in the thread would be hard to find when it was updated on my system. I didn't find the problem with the wireless optical mouse until I tried one from Radio Shack last Feb. I got 2 of them, one for my sister for her birthday and one for myself. My Sis's laptop is a 5 yr old Toshiba from WalMart and when we plugged the USB receiver for the mouse in and turned it on it worked immediately. It didn't even have to install any drivers or anything. Now when I tried the same mouse in my Dell it first wanted to install the drivers. Then I got a window with something about unknown device driver install failed. Some thing about a incompatible or damaged/missing INF file. That's when this whole circus began. I took the Radio Shack mouse back and later picked up another one off eBay. It was just a cheapy from Hong Kong but it still should have worked unless there was a major problem somewhere. That's what I thought any who. I figured if it didn't work I didn't loose all that much. So much for being cheap!
Yesterday I tried to reinstall the drivers for both the touch pad and the USB mouse from the Dell factory disc that came with my laptop. That didn't work. I took it out to my computers doctor :-), they guy thats done all my upgrades and built me my first computer 13 yrs ago. We messed around with this thing for 5 hrs and never did get anything resolved. But, before I took it out to him the touch pad was only working sporadically. When we turned it on out there the touch pad worked fine but neither the mini mouse with wire to USB or the wireless optical mouse would work. Tried cleaning out drivers from device manager and reinstalling them and got same drive install fail, damaged or missing INF file. And something about drivers for unknown device not in windows 95 or later, download drivers from device manufacture, or something like that. Also the mini mouse with wire to USB has been working fine for over a yr. Until I uninstalled the drivers from the device manager as suggested.
When I got it back home, the touch pad was back to working sporadically again. Tried F12 at start up and tried different boot options and found a diagnostic start up. Tested the mini mouse and touch pad with diagnostic test and both worked fine. Rebooted, back to same problem. USB mouse wont work, touch pad spastic. Gave up about midnight.
This morning I got to the Dell web site and to where I could inter its tag number and download factory drivers for touch pad and diagnostic tests that were in it when I first got it. Now at least the touch pad is working normal but USB mouse still wont work. (The same mouse that's been working for over a yr)
Question for you. If I re-installed my Windows Vista from disc from Dell would I loose anything or everything on my hard drive? And would it fix the damaged or missing INF file or files? I know that should be a last resort to reinstall the Windows but I think I'm just about there. I've never had a problem before that Bill my computer guy couldn't fix. His final suggestion was to get Windows 7 and install it.
I'm now totally lost. What do you suggest now? I've got too much important data on here to loose it and only having this spastic touch pad is a pain in the arse.
Thank You

I forgot to tell you. When in the device manager checking the drivers installed for the mouse, both the USB mouse and touch pad, it said that the drivers for the USB unknown device was working properly, and the drivers for the touchpad said they were up to date and working properly, when they were not working properly or at all.

Edited by ColoradoHermit, 16 June 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

re- installing windows may give you the option to do a repair install (not sure if dell recovery disk will give you this option) where by all files will remain intact. this may include driver files also which you do not want. also i would be nervous of something fouling up during the repair making it a big headache to retrieve your files.

if you do not have a backup of your important data, i would start with that while its easy to copy.

then you can do a clean install of windows and everything else on drive will be lost. next install all updated drivers for the laptop, downloaded from dell website.

if i were you and i could not find the oem??.inf file, i would at least try installing the Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 Mouse Software as mentioned in the second last post (also suggested in post 3) of that thread(although he says Intellitype i think he means Intellipoint)

also i would be tempted to try cleaning old drivers first
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...o-new-hardware/

most importantly, get the backup done. maybe bill will help and you can run my suggestions by him.

#10 manstrongest

manstrongest

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

wow good advice !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users