Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC has FPS drops?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 joesmith

joesmith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hey there,

I built a PC a while ago to start playing some games (CS 1.6, Source, CoD) but my motherboard recently died on me. So I picked up a spare one off a friend and re-installed all the hardware. However, when I play games now, my FPS will drop randomly about every 2 minutes or so from 100 fps constant to 15 - 20. Its frustrating because I know I have a PC which is capable of handling high demand games. I have all my drivers updated, GFX Card control center, and a dual-core optimzer installed..

My specs are :

Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ S[eed: 3.10 GHz
4 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon 4650 HD
ASUS M3A78-EMH Motherboard
150 GB WD Harddrive
500 Watt Powersupply

I have tried going through Windows Task Manager and setting the CPU Affinity from both cores to just one.. which seemed to work for a bit, but it started to act up again..

Do you think this new mobo does not like my GFX Card? Or is there any sort of program I can run to diagnose this problem? Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Could be your new Mobo. This review of it wasn't glowing. But this one seemed to like it.

My first thought is that maybe you are having some heat issues. How is your airflow in your case?

#3 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Its funny because my friend gave me this mobo because he didnt like it and purchased a new one...
although he had far better hardware running on this mobo than I do..

My case has two fans that run all the time to keep the air flow well circulated. The PC itself sits in a pretty open space so overheating I dont think is the issue. But if there is a program where I can check temps I'll be more than happy to get it to be sure.

I also forgot to mention I game over a wireless network. Do you think that could be the issue? I know network shouldn't really affect fps, but when I examine the net_graphs for example (in cs 1.6) it shows some network spikes..

Thanks again!

Joe

#4 johndept1

johndept1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

how it work.

#5 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

sorry John I dont quite follow.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Sorry for the delay, I forgot where this thread was.

I use RealTemp to monitor my temps. I can't imagine wireless causing your problems unless there is someone else using their computer on the network at the same time who is sending or recieving large packets. WHat AV do you use? How about firewall?

Your processor, power, and GPU are definitely powerful enough to give you good FPS on the games you listed. Unless the Mobo is just bad there shouldn't be any compatibility problems between it and your ATI GPU. If I remember correctly, that board comes with an onboard ATI GPU.

Just a thought. Have you disabled the onboard GPU? If not, then your computer isn't running your games through your 4650, it's running them through the onboard GPU, which both reviews said wasn't that good for gaming. you might want to look at that in your BIOS.

#7 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

I just restarted and went into BIOS..

I went to Advanced -> Chipset -> Internal Graphics -> Primary Video Controller and my choices were :

1. GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
2. GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI
3. PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX
4. IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI

it was set to 1. but I just switched it now to 3.

I'll also check out RealTemp and test to see if this might have solved my problem..

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

#8 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

So RealTemp was not supported with my processor..

However I found one that was.. CoreTemp

While idle my temps are

Core 0 : 47*C
Core 1 : 46*C

While in-game (cs 1.6) the temps reached a high of:

Core 0 : 59*C
Core 1 : 57*C

Is this an indication of overheating? Im not too sure what my temperature ranges should be at.

And do you think I need to change my Primary Video Controller to another setting in my BIOS?

Thanks again

Joe

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Your Temps are good.

I'm not really sure exactly what setting you should have on that board. If you scroll down a little on this page of the first review I linked, it shows a picture of what you described, but it doesn't say what they set theirs too.

Of the choices you showed, I would have picked number 3 as well, but I really don't know for sure. I think DBPace would know, he seems to be a hardware expert. You might try sending him a PM and asking him to look at this thread. He probably won't see it otherwise because it's in the game forum and he frequents the hardware section.

I'm not saying you put this the wrong place, it's a tough call when you are dealing with hardware issues and gaming lol.

I'll send him a PM and ask him to look at this. I don't know if he reads or even accepts PM's, I've never tried to contact him before.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'll give it a shot, though DeathStalker is right about gaming and hardware being an inexact science. To clear everything up, you did reinstall Windows and all the drivers and realize that you cannot use all your RAM in a 32-bit OS? You also remembered to shut down all unneeded processes before gaming? The Radeon 4650 is not that high-end of a GPU, but you should still be able to get good framerates with slightly older games, such as those you've listed. First, take a look at this and properly set the options based on what GPU you are using:

Primary Video Controller
1. GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI (VGA out port on a graphics card connected to a PCIE X16 slot)
2. GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI (VGA out port on a graphics card connected to a PCIE X1 slot)
3. PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX (Internal (Integrated) VGA out port)
4. IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI (VGA out port on a graphics card connected into a PCI slot)

That list and what it said was found in the users guide to your motherboard. If your Radeon 4650 card is a PCI Express X16 card, you should have option one selected. According to what I've read, the Athlon 64 X2 CPU's are not very forgiving when it comes to temperatures, anything over 80C will shut off the CPU. Before that happens, you will probably have a severe drop in terms of frame rate. However, there are two models of this CPU, one CPU, the 90nm Windsor, runs hot to begin with, the 65nm chip, Brisbane, runs cooler with a little more headroom with thermals. If you're using a Windsor-based CPU, the CPU can get up to 63C, with a Brisbane CPU it is the same. Anything over this and you will start to have issues and the CPU will downclock itself to cool down. I assume you are using the Brisbane CPU given your CPU clocks. You can also try running Furmark to see if the GPU craps out and Prime95 to stress the CPU. Why did your friend not like this motherboard?

3939.png

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Thanks DJBPace07.

#12 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for all the help, both of you. I appreciate it a lot..

Yes, when I got this new mobo from my friend I tried to hook everything up and just run it without re-installing windows..
That did not go over too well so I did re-install windows and drivers are all up to date..

How come I cannot use my full RAM in a 32 bit OS? I never knew so just wondering..

Before entering a game, I always close any unneeded program that would be running (MSN is about it, I dont have much installed on this PC because of this FPS issue lol)

My Radeon 4650 is a PCI express x16, so according to what you have listed, I will switch my primary video controller setting back to 1.

I am currently downloading Furmark and Prime95 to see what results I get.. I will let you know soon

I am not exactly sure why my friend did not like this mobo.. I know that he has very high end gaming and performance hardware, so my guess was that he was trying to run too high performance hardware on this mother board.. which would result in things crapping out for him.. however I could be wrong this is just what I assume..

I will ask him the real reason when I get a chance

Thank you again for all the help. Much appreciated

Joe

#13 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

So after running FurMark benchmark test these were my results:

Score: 893 (60000 ms)

Max GPU Temp: 60*C

Resolution: 1018x736 (W) - MSAA: 0X

FPS: min=11 max=27 avg=15

Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4650

Drivers: Catalyst 10.4 - 8.723-100406a-098765C-ATI (4-6-2010)

GPU-Z: Core:650MHz - Mem:400MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

CPU Speed: 3101 MHz System Memory: 3327 MB

My framerate is really low..

Do you think the card is the problem? I mean 27 FPS is really low, let alone 11..

Or is it because it is a really high stress program?

Hope this was helpful

Joe

Edited by joesmith, 29 May 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

A 32 Bit operating system only "sees" 3.5 GB's of RAM. SO you are only using 3.5 of your 4GB's. Still, 3.5 is better than 2.

I haven't used a 4600 series GPU and I don't know the specs for them, but that frame rate seems really low. Especially on the games you are playing.

I had a problem one time with my 5850. All of a sudden the FPS went to crap. I erased my drivers and re-installed them and everything has been fine since. Have you tried that? Maybe your driver file got corrupted somehow.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

When I ran Furmark I had an average FPS of 50 with a temp of 80C, which is good for two 9800GTX's. If you go by the raw specs, the Radeon 4650 is wedged in between Nvidia's Geforce 9500 GT and the 9600 GSO. Have you run Prime95 and HWMonitor at the same time? Prime95 will stress your CPU and HWMonitor will monitor the temperatures of the CPU during the test. Prime95 is not designed to natively detect and run on multicore setups, like yours. However, it is easy to get it to work. Since you use a dual core CPU, follow instructions here to set everything up. Prime95 places an immense load upon your CPU, so if your cooling or CPU fails, you will know about it. To further explain 32-bit and 64-bit, these refer to architectures. With 32-bit, a standard home installation of Windows can see a maximum of 4GB of RAM, though only 3GB to 3.5GB are usable due to memory addressing. In 64-bit Windows, you can use, I think, 128GB of RAM without any addressing. Therefore, if you use 4GB of RAM, you can use all 4GB with a 64-bit operating system. You also have the benefit of faster instruction sets and higher security, depending on the OS, but you shouldn't run out and install it just yet since you probably have no need for it, yet, and can wait until you do your next major computer upgrade which should happen before 2014 since that is when Windows XP leaves support at Microsoft.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users