Couple of things, you can try...
1. AVG is known resource hog. I'd uninstall it, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
and I'd go for something lighter:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html3
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html
2. Another hog - Acrobat Reader...
I recommend, you unistall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a resource hog, and install FoxIt Reader
, which is much smaller, and faster. It does very same thing.
Make sure, you run "custom" install, and opt out from installing any extra toolbars.
3. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe
to run the program.
Click on Start
button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may
ask you to restart computer.
4. Disable unnecessary startups (no actual programs will be removed).
Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check:+ "BrMfcWnd"
Run it for couple of days and report on progress.