Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont boot, keeps starting over

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wingfan13

Wingfan13

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

I wonder if someone can help me out. I have an HP laptop that was working fine last night. Today I turn it on and it is trying to reboot over and over again. Nothing shows up on the screen. You can hear it start to boot, see all the lights and then you can hear it die and try again. I know it isn't the battery because I have it plugged in. I can't even get to safe mode.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Can you boot up to BIOS?

Can you boot up a self-booting disk, like the Windows CD/DVD?

If there are 2 memory sticks in there, remove one and see if that resolves the issue. There should be one of the sockets that is the 1st or primary, so make certain that is the one you use. Check the manual for the particulars.

DR

#3 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

Can you boot up to BIOS?

Can you boot up a self-booting disk, like the Windows CD/DVD?

If there are 2 memory sticks in there, remove one and see if that resolves the issue. There should be one of the sockets that is the 1st or primary, so make certain that is the one you use. Check the manual for the particulars.

DR

It doesn't get far enough to boot into bios. Nothing ever comes up on the screen.

I did try removing the memory sticks and that didn't do anything either.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

We would like to offer you some assistance with your laptop issue, however it helps us to help you better if you provide more information about your laptop.

I see where you provided the HP brand name, however, providing the module number of this laptop will help make researching your problem a little easier for us. :thumbsup:

kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 May 2010 - 10:48 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

We would like to offer you some assistance with your laptop issue, however it helps us to help you if you provide more information about your laptop.

I see where you provided the HP brand name, however, providing the module number of this laptop will help make researching your problem a little easier for us. :thumbsup:

kind regards.

Thank you. The laptop is a HP DV 9815NR running windows Vista.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thank you. The laptop is a HP DV 9815NR running windows Vista.

Thanks for providing that information. :thumbsup:

Give me a few, to go to the HP web site to pull up some technical information on your laptop. :flowers:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

First while I am doing research on your laptop, I would like to direct you to the support page for your product.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...p;submit=Go%20

Be back shortly with a reply. :thumbsup:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

Recommended solutions from HP.

HP Notebook PCs - Resolving Start Up and No Boot Problems Checklist
Print and use this checklist as a guide when trying to resolve problems when computer does not startup or boot properly.
Perform a Hard Reset
1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (do not connect the battery), press the Power button and look for the LEDs to blink or glow, and listen for the sound of a disk drive and fan turning.
If computer does not start normally, identify the specific problem symptom listed below and take the recommended actions.
Symptom: LED lights do not glow, display is black, computer does not start
If LEDs do not glow when power button is pressed, there is no power available to the notebook. Check AC adapter wiring and power connection to the notebook. Connect a different AC power adapter and remove battery. Connect a different battery and disconnect AC power adapter. If there is no battery or AC power at the notebook, contact HP for technical assistance.
Symptom: LEDs blink or computer beeps but does not start Count number of blinking LEDs or beeping tones to help with diagnostics testing Contact HP for technical assistance
Symptom: LEDs glow, but computer fails to startup or boot, and displays a black screen
Usually occurs if a component is installed incorrectly, or there is a device conflict or failure. Connect an external monitor to check display Remove all CD/DVDs, SD cards, USB devices, peripherals and do hard reset If memory or hard drive components were replaced, reinstall original components Remove memory modules and replace one-at-a-time If possible, boot to BIOS mode (f10) and run Memory Test and Hard Drive Test If all other methods fail, use recovery disk to recover the computer to original condition.

#9 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Recommended solutions from HP.

HP Notebook PCs - Resolving Start Up and No Boot Problems Checklist
Print and use this checklist as a guide when trying to resolve problems when computer does not startup or boot properly.
Perform a Hard Reset
1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards.
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (do not connect the battery), press the Power button and look for the LEDs to blink or glow, and listen for the sound of a disk drive and fan turning.
If computer does not start normally, identify the specific problem symptom listed below and take the recommended actions.
Symptom: LED lights do not glow, display is black, computer does not start
If LEDs do not glow when power button is pressed, there is no power available to the notebook. Check AC adapter wiring and power connection to the notebook. Connect a different AC power adapter and remove battery. Connect a different battery and disconnect AC power adapter. If there is no battery or AC power at the notebook, contact HP for technical assistance.
Symptom: LEDs blink or computer beeps but does not start Count number of blinking LEDs or beeping tones to help with diagnostics testing Contact HP for technical assistance
Symptom: LEDs glow, but computer fails to startup or boot, and displays a black screen
Usually occurs if a component is installed incorrectly, or there is a device conflict or failure. Connect an external monitor to check display Remove all CD/DVDs, SD cards, USB devices, peripherals and do hard reset If memory or hard drive components were replaced, reinstall original components Remove memory modules and replace one-at-a-time If possible, boot to BIOS mode (f10) and run Memory Test and Hard Drive Test If all other methods fail, use recovery disk to recover the computer to original condition.

Yeah, I went through all that and nothing worked. I think I have some type of hardware failure. The problem is finding out what is bad and seeing if buying a new laptop is better than trying to find replacement parts.

#10 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Update, I was able to get into the BIOS and I am now running a memory test and hard drive test. After that if you have a suggestion as to what I should do if it ends up passing the tests.

I was using the wrong function key before and that is why I couldnt get into the BIOS.

#11 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

I ran both tests and they passed. What now ? I dont know what it could be and I don't have a recovery CD.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

A Windows Vista recovery disk is free heres the page to get started, sad to say you have to order it, it is not downloadable.

https://warp2.external.hp.com/driver/dr_cou...ng=en&cc=us

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

Here is your drivers and utilities link for your computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=3689893#N5441

#14 Wingfan13

Wingfan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Mysteriously after I ran both test I booted without issue in safe mode then decided to try and boot normally and it worked. I didnt change anything so I have no idea why it is working now.

Thanks for all the help but I assume this is going to happen again since I really didnt change anything and it is working now.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

This link from HP closely resembles your issue.

Startup Symptom: LED lights do not glow, display is black, computer does not start

Please read this page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...893&os=2093

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users