Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 corruption

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi:
I was having a problem with an update to Windows 7 - specifically my system would not download Explorer 8 updates (even though I never use this browser, I was tired of getting notices to update it). I followed the problem solving steps suggested by Windows, which eventually had me download a problem solving tool, which produced a log. I then copied the log and sent it to Windows, as directed. Here is the bottom line on that log, according to a Windows rep:

"From the case log, I found the following information.
Summary:
Seconds executed: 1044
Found 8 errors
CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 4
CBS Catalog Corrupt Total count: 4
This message means this issue is caused by corrupted system files."
END QUOTE

Because my laptop was purchased with Windows Vista, and upgraded to Windows 7 (via manufacturer's disk), the rep says I need to go back to Vista and then once again upgrade to Windows 7. He says I can do this with my Recovery Disk that I created when I purchased the computer. He also says that because my Windows 7 OS is corrupted, it will only get worse as time goes on and I need to do this.

OK -- I"m very upset at the thought of doing this. When I use the Recovery disk to go back to Vista, this means I will lose everything on my computer, right? (yes, I am backed up, but still....)

Do I really need to do this when I don't even use Explorer 8?
Is there another way to do this without going back to Vista? Or without erasing my hard drive?
Does it make sense to create a disk image (for extra backup insurance)? I always lose something I wanted because it's not under documents or whatever...)
And would my windows 7 have been corrupted by a virus of some sort? (I have never had a virus on this computer and use Kasperksy Internet Security 2010)

Please help me! Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

Upgrading from Vista to 7 probably caused this problem in the first place. In-place upgrades are notorious for being riddled with bugs and glitches that can only be resolved by a clean install.

So, I don't recommend going back to Vista, then upgrading to 7 again. You will likely experience the same problem again.

However, depending on how the manufacturer's Windows 7 disc is set up, you may or may not be able to do a clean install. See here: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Yes, you should keep IE8 up to date even if you don't use it. It is built into Windows 7, and is an open vulnerability if it stays unpatched.

I would recommend making a full system image backup inside Windows 7 before you do anything else. If you screw something up, you can always go back to that image.
How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

Edited by keyboardNinja, 25 May 2010 - 02:27 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Thank you very much. I have been in contact with other tech support sites and with windows on line and on the phone. You are the first person to 1) actually answer my question as to whether I need to do this or not and 2) provide me with a viable way to do it (other than starting from scratch). I really appreciate your help. I will let you know what happens.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

No problem. :huh:

Let me know how it goes. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image