Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 98 boot disk from xp machine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buzbo

buzbo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

I have a win 98 machine that won't boot up but says insert disk in drive a. I can't find my 98 boot disk I made for times like this (wife cleaned my area). I downloaded a 98se.exe file from a site to my xp machine and copied to a floppy. How do I make this into a usable boot disk? I read one forum response that said not to copy to a floppy as the downloaded .exe file but to double click on it and follow directions. When I do this my xp machine says "can't aceed floppy" or something very close to this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

buzbo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Sounds like you downloaded a boot disk image file. You need to run the exe from the hard drive on your XP machine and have a blank floppy disk ready to insert into your drive. The program should prompt you to insert a floppy for the "target" and will then write the image to the floppy. You don't need to format the floppy first but be aware that any data you have on the floppy will be overwritten.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Try boot disk from here
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users