Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ophcrack, password recovery, kernel panic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 gugtheone

gugtheone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

hello,

i have an old computer (HP pavilion 511W) with Windows XP home (or whatever the cheap version is) and i think the password has expired, or i have just forgotten it, either way i can't log into windows. i've downloaded the password cracker ophcrack, burned the ISO file to a cd, and rebooted my computer from the live CD. i have it burned correctly as there are multiple files on the cd. i've also redownloaded the (415 mb :thumbsup: )ISO file, and reburned it to a new cd to ensure there were no errors in the initial download or in the burn process. the ophcrack GUI loads and i've tried selecting all of the various load options (ophcrack graphic mode - automatic, ophcrack graphic mode - maual, oph graphic mode - low RAM, ophcrack Text mode). whichever i select it begins loading and goes through a lot of text quickly, so i cannot tell you what all it says. this is the error line from the screen:

unpacking initramfs....<6>Switched to NOHz mode on CPU #0...................<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes...

from there it freezes, or something, either way i have let it sit for a few hours with nothing happening, before i hard restart. any help would be greatly appreciated, and i am sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm a noob to the forums :flowers:

EDIT: Post closed ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2010 - 07:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

I'm sorry but we don't discuss how to crack passwords on this forum.

As per the Forum Rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gugtheone

gugtheone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

I apologize, i will find help with my problem elsewhere. although i will say that the software is legal, and being used for a legal purpose. either way, end of discussion. peace and chicken grease. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users