Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New laptop for gaming, hd movies, photoshop.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 InaPinch

InaPinch

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:08 AM

--My budget for the new computer is: $900 +/- $100

--What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

I'd like to play online games on it without any lag. I would also use my computer to word process, photoshop, video edit, watch high definition movies, and browse the web. (I would like if my computer had a blueray player and a good resolution on the screen)

--What software do you intend on using on the computer?

CS4 Adobe Photoshop, Google Chrome, Firefox, VLC Player. Some games.

--Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

I like playing online games, MMORPGs, and first person shooters.

--Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

I have 1-3 programs open at all times.

--Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

I do store a lot of pictures, videos, and music on my computer.

My current laptop is an HP dv8380us, but, it's kind of old now and has been plagued with problems for the past year. I therefore feel is time for an upgrade now.

I was happy with my HP for most of it's lifetime; what I wasn't happy with was their customer service and technical support, they were simply God awful. Also, I don't know if this is unique to HPs, but opening up the laptop to clean out the fan is a terrible pain in the butt.

I don't mind changing brands at all if there is something better you guys might suggest. Also, my dv8380 was a 17", so I don't mind if the laptop is big/bulky if it meets my other requirements.

I was checking out computers at www.refurbdepot.com and so far I liked what I had seen, but then, I compared prices, and they weren't selling computers for much cheaper that at other places brand new; I also read reviews on the website and it made me a bit wary of them. I don't know if you guys know anything about them. An acquaintance bought a laptop there, and she was happy, so, I really don't know.

I then went to www.newegg.com and saw some good computers there, but I quickly got overwhelmed with all the different info and specifications.

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by InaPinch, 24 May 2010 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Have a look at this Sony Vaio with blue ray drive:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+La...d=1218159867078

I realize it says sold out, but it becomes available if you keep checking, and then soon after it is sold out again :blink:

#3 InaPinch

InaPinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Ajaxanon! I appreciate it.

Ah, the link didn't work, but I looked it up and got it.

It seems like a pretty good laptop, but there are two things that turn me off about it.

I'm loving the fact that it has USB 3, DDR 3, and an i5 processor.

I don't like the fact that even though it has a blueray player, it's not a blueray burner as well.

Also, it seems like the display on it isn't all that great for what it is. It seems that people have a hard time looking at the screen from different angles. I believe I could see the screen on my other laptop from any angle and there wasn't any glare or anything. Also, my old laptop had a 17 inch wide screen, and this one is 14; I'm not really picturing how much smaller this laptop is, but, I'm afraid I might feel it's too small for my liking.

Any other suggestions guys?

How good/bad are Acer laptops considered nowadays?

Edited by InaPinch, 24 May 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#4 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hmm, sorry about the link. I could recommend a couple of other laptops, but I think the Blueray drive/burner could be an issue at the price range you're looking at. For instance, this ASUS is a fairly good machine, but doesn't offer blueray support:

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor - Blue/Black Model: G60JX-RBBX0 from Best Buy (link doesn't work either)

Or this one with Blueray:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834127087

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

A powerful alternative for under 1K, the Asus N61JQ.

However, this would be more of a desktop replacement.

The best option with a BluRay drive would be the Sony Vaio VPCEB17FX/B.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 May 2010 - 07:59 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 InaPinch

InaPinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Sorry I haven't replied in a while guys, I've been a bit busy with school. I will go ahead and check out your suggestions in a bit, but in the meanwhile, I want to tell you about this Sony Vaio F series I was looking at, and ask a few questions about it,

this Sony Vaio would run me about $1,331.00, a bit more than what I had originally intended to pay, but that's including taxes and shipping, I might also be able to get a 7% student discount (not sure). Here are the specifications,

* No Additional Video Editing Software
* Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-720QM processor (1.60GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz
* 16.4" VAIO Display (1600x900) with NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M GPU (512MB VRAM)
* No Fresh Start
* Microsoft® Works
* No additional Photo Editing Software
* 4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
* Blu-ray Discâ„¢ player/burner (reg. price $180.00)
* Norton Internet Securityâ„¢ 2010 (30 Day Trial)
* Keyboard Backlight
* Standard Capacity Battery
* Black
* No Engraving
* Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
* 500GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)

I don't think the laptop has USB 3.0 and that is a bit of a concern for me. I mean, I don't plan to replace this computer for a while, and if the technology is out there already, I'm pretty sure more and more devices will make use of it soon enough to the point where USB 3.0 will become standard.

I was also reading about SATA III, and I have no idea if this laptop makes use of that hard drive technology or if it's even worth getting.

What do you guys think?

How good is this specific i7 processor? It has a 1.6 ghz standard clock-speed. I know that with the turbo ability, it can increase to up to 2.8 ghz, but I'm still skeptical. My old HP had an Intel Core Duo with 1.83 ghz and it was amazing for the duration of its life; will this processor be even more awesome?

What do you think of this Sony Vaio for that price?

Do you have other suggestions now that I've increased my budget a bit?

Thank you!

Ohhhh, almost forgot! How good is that video card? I was reading about it, and I couldn't find anything about the 512 ram being dedicated. Also, the video card itself doesn't seem top of the line or anywhere close--'ve been seeing a lot of video cards with at least 1 gig dedicated ram. How good of a video card is it really? The sonystyle.com website didn't give me a choice to change it/upgrade it. =(

PS. I don't mind if the computer is a desktop replacement. My old laptop was pretty big, and I've gotten used to it, actually, I would prefer to buy a laptop with a display of 15 to 17 inches.

Edit;

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphi...List.844.0.html

According to this website ^

The 310m video card is ranked 109, my 2006 laptop's video card was a Geforce Go 7600 and that's ranked 130 on the website. It doesn't seem like much of an upgrade considering this new Sony is 4 years + newer than my old laptop. =(
Just further things to consider I guess. What do you guys think?

Edited by InaPinch, 28 May 2010 - 02:46 PM.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

1. USB 3.0 will take its time to become a mainstream offering. With stricter technology(certification) restrictions, the growth of USB 3.0 products will be slower.

2. It is just too early to start considering SATA III for notebooks.

3. i7 - 720QM Features

For those looking for a better balance of performance and price, Core i7-820QM and Core i7-720QM-based notebooks stand to offer the best bang-for-the-buck, while still delivering unprecedented performance in a notebook.

4. A. 512MB Vs. 1GB : You need more memory, to game at higher resolutions with ease.

B. Between the two Vaios, ATI HD5470 > Geforce 310M.

Hope this helps. :blink:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 May 2010 - 09:14 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users