Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

difficult EPrompter uninstallation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hey Folks,
I figured since I get flooded with emails on both of my accounts, I looked at the features of EPrompter, and figured that that program would make my life a little easier. Well, what I didn't know was that it was going to be almost completely inaccessible with my screen reader (JAWS for windows 11.0), and secondly that it was going to be a pain to uninstall after realizing this. Well anyway, I went to revo uninstaller to uninstall the program completely, and I was greeted with a lovely unavailable beside the option to uninstall in the right-click menu. I was like, okay, this is just revo being stupid, so i'll have to go the manual deletion root from the control pannel applet, but there I was greeted with our favorite little message "Error trying to uninstall. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove this program from the uninstall list?" I said no to that seeing that it didn't matter one way or the other. Next I went to program files and tried to delete the folder. No luck. Our lovely "the action cannot be performed because the file is in use by another program. Close the file and try again" error message. I was like okay, and I downloaded the unlocker utility having to dodge MSE all the way, but I managed to install that after MSE told me where it had put it without telling me first. (MSE idiodically blocks the program due to it's ebay shortcut offerings which can be turned off in the install . I didn't forget to turn it off.). It couldn't take any action on the file and folder, but file assassin under MBAM could. Using that, I was successfully able to brute-force uninstall EPrompter by deleting it's main executable (eprompter.exe). I then used AxCrypt to shred the remaining contents of the folder along with the folder itself. Now there is a file with no extension left in the root of my C drive named 3590F75ABA9E485486C100C1A9D4FF06BJOVYUOAAUEZDZVP. And a bit ago, before I put it under axCrypt too, there was a folder named similarly with a weird .z ending (extension or not, I know not). the files inside of it were named similar to z.zz.z.zzz, z.zzz.zz.zzz, or zz.zzz.zz.z. do these files belong to either unlocker or EPrompter? Any input would be wonderful. Thanks.

Regards,
Crhomebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users