Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Thinking About Geting A Used Computer Will It Run Win 2000

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I am thinking about getting this used computer http://www.directron.com/usedi865g.html to replace my 8 1/2 yr old 1ghz with 256 ram do you think this computer is a decent buy I do not need anything real fancy. If I get this used computer can I run windows 200 on it??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

The computer you linked to comes with Win XP Pro installed. Is there a reason why you would want to install Win 2000 on it?

To answer your question, yes it will run Win 2000. It won't be a speed demon but would be fine for checking email and web surfing.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

I hate xp so much all I really do is surf the net watch videos I download & listen to mp3s. I never play newer computer games

Edited by DJboutit, 23 May 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

Win 2000 is very similar to XP. I'm curious as to what is it that you hate about XP that you like in Win 2000?

#5 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

I just picked up this computer it runs about 3 times faster than my old computer. It has 1gb ddr400 ram in it now if I were to add 1gb more ddr400 ram would it be worth it & would be run faster???

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

It depends. Are you running into low memory issues with the apps you're running now? Adding more memory doesn't automatically speed things up, it only helps if the system is starved for memory.

#7 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

No coputer seems to be running just fine videos are the only that have trouble loading

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

If you're talking YouTube videos, that's more a function of your internet connection than anything else.

Edited by strolln, 26 May 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#9 DJboutit

DJboutit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

No videos I have downloaded

#10 Guest_Jayson201_*

Guest_Jayson201_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

No videos I have downloaded

1gb RAM should be enough to watch a video at a time.
Possibly the Video Card?

#11 spunbytes

spunbytes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

Hi - yes , subject computer chipset supports win2000, and oem XP pro has downgrade rights to win2000 retail (not oem)
these can be won very cheaply at the online auctions
There is no activation or validation required - something wonderful about that
anyhow win2000 is server orientated and so tends to run with minimal ram memory free space - if used up is slow to launch new applications due to extensive paging out required to free up space, but once launched is very quick executing tasks - like changing web pages, changing images etc - so as a win2000 user with 3.8GHz PIV w/512MB ram desktop and 1.2GHz PIII w/256MB ram netbook usage laptop
I would surmise for your described video playback related tasks + internet usage, I would consider 1GB total installed to be adequate , with enough free space for quick launches, particularly as you have a video expansion card - rather than an onboard video device which uses ram memory
rubber ducky system monitor can determine in real time ram usage
http://www.mimarsinan.com/rubberducky.asp
(be sure to set a update schedule after the restart)

A few other thoughts
Win2000 has no bundled firewall - so need to install one, i recommend outpost personal firewall, as this is a firewall only utility
so will not complicate real-time anti-spyware function
http://free.agnitum.com/
Win2000 only supports ie6 which is a security risk , so need to use either firefox or opera browser
avoid installing adobe flash player if possible
you need to install sp4 + windows installer 3.1, in order to install the netframeworks
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803
Avira antispyware works well with win2000 + outpost firewall
http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_downloa..._antivirus.html
After installation of win2000, run the windows update > custom rather than express
This will install the bitrate transfer (or something like that) component which will enable smooth updating of the 100 odd updates
access custom a few times as useful updates are hidden there at times

win2000 despite less application support is more or less XP lite now, but if internet security is paramount I suggest Windows 7

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

Your video card could be an performance hindrance with watching movies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users