Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

empty network connections folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ydnewp

ydnewp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:35 AM

My niece called complaining that she couldn't boot her computer. She was getting an error message saying that C:\windows\system32\config\system was missing or corrupt. She was able to get a prompt and I think she was able to boot to safe mode. I did a search and found where someone suggested running chkdsk/r. She did and then was able to boot to windows.

Now she tells me she can't get online and when she goes to control panel/network connections the folder is empty so she can't adjust her settings - there are none. I had a similar problem over the summer and ended up paying someone to fix it. They wouldn't give me a straight answer what was wrong with mine ( probably so if it happens again I have to pay again :thumbsup: ) so I don't know what to tell my niece except that I feel her pain which isn't helping at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

Log on as administrator then click start, right click on my network places and click on properties. It should show any network connections that have been created and their status.

If you double click on any network connection, you will see a local area connection status screen, click on support tab and select repair button.

If none of this helps, or is not there. go to start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager. Scroll down to network adaptors and right click on network card and uninstall.

Reboot and Windows should recognize hardware card, reinstall drivers and then you can rebuild network connections. You should make sure you have all of the info, user name, password, etc. from your ISP before doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users