Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Vista laptop will not connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 puryears

puryears

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

I have battling this problem for over a week. I switched from DSL to cable internet, and my Vista laptop is driving me crazy. Here are the details:
-I installed a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and connected it to a Netgear Wireless-N router.
-I hardwired my vista laptop to the wireless modem and ran the set up software.
-My other laptop with Windows XP connected wirelessly with no problem.
-When I tried to wirelessly connect my Vista laptop, however, it only allowed local access to the network and would not connect through to the internet.
-I removed all anti-virus/firewall software to rule that out-still no internet.
-I took the Vista laptop to another network that has a wireless-g router and it connected...hmm seems my network is the issue.
-I reconnected my DSL network and of course the Vista laptop connected.
-I ran ipconfig and the IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway all match with the XP laptop (minus the last digit of the IP address of course).
-I've cycled power on the router, modem, and laptop several times.

Can anyone please help me before I throw this laptop out the window!?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users