Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstalling xp First time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shogun697

shogun697

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

someone give me there old xp laptop when they got a new one.It was'nt working so i decided to reinstall xp.(my first time!!!) It all went well but now i'm having problems getting on the net to install the drivers.I using a lead from my moden into the back of the laptop but still cant connect.Any ideas what i'm doing wrong??Also I was wondering if I cant connect to the net can I download the drivers onto a usb stick from the dell website using another computer?? its a bell inspirion 5160 . any help would be great thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

yes you can go to dells website and download the drivers that are needed and put then on a flash drive and then install them on the new machine. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

If you post the service tag number we can give you a link to go to the right page from any computer. You can use a flash drive or burn them to a cd.

#4 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thanks I'm at work so Ill post it in the morning.Thanks again for the help and Ill let ye know how it goes.

#5 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

the service tag is DXL681j thanks again for the help

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

When installing an OS on a laptop, it's usually a good idea to visit the mfr's website and download all the pertinent drivers for the OS you are installing before you do the install. As suggested, putting them on a USB stick is a good way to do it. The problem you're encountering is most likely because XP doesn't contain drivers for the network adapter in your laptop.

Here's the link to the drivers page on the Dell website for that laptop: Dell Drivers download page.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=113177

link to internal ethernet driver. Then you can download the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users