Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Box won't startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sideliner2

sideliner2

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

I will try to condense this as much as possible. I have a 6+ year old machine that I keep around to run old software(games).

PIII
256m RAM (reduced from 512 as possible solution)
single 20g HD
floppy
128m AGP graphics(new, changed BIOs per instructions)
450W PS (new)
MB is Shuttle (BIOS never upgraded)

Original problem was garbled graphics, totally unreadable mis-mash of color. I replaced graphics card. No fix. I replaced PS no fix. Booted to DOS and formatted HD. Reloaded W98SE, SB live, CD/DVD players(HP and Creative), Graphics card, network card and drivers for CH flightstick PRO(gameport). I have not loaded any anti virus or firewall software nor configured internet(comcast broadband). Everything looked great.

Yesterday played Descent III for couple of hours. Looked great ran flawlessly. When I exited the game, screen went black with no cursor. Could not soft reboot. Power button would not power off. Had to use power switch on PS. Turn power switch on ps on and push start button. Computer spins up all lights on front come on. CPU, PS, and extra fans come on, but no POST(no beeps). Cap key will not operate. Cannot turn off numlock.

Earlier in the day when I was installing Descent, I noticed the computer felt much warmer to the touch than usual and when I removed the cd from its drive it was quite hot. Later the heat diminished. FYI the new PS has dual fans and one of them is supposed to kick in when temp requires. The air exhausting the PS was also hot.

What do you think?

dead mb battery?
failed mb?
stuck in hibernation?

Pardon the long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like the first thing would be a good case exhaust fan to dump that extra heat. Heat is a major problem for electronics.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 sideliner2

sideliner2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

acklan

I did add a fan to the front of unit to pull air in. My thinking is that the back panel and lower part of side panel are perforated with an area about 3 x 24 inches and the heat would be pushed out there as well as being pulled through the PS. That said, my P IV unit has three fans exhausting air. If I don't scrap the old unit and can get it restarted I will ad additional fans.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:29 PM

Have you gone into the case and looked to see if lent is blocking the heat sinks, fans on the processor and video card? Also if you have taken your heat sink off of your processor, did you reapply clean thermal grease?
I'm just trying to cover all the possible heat related problems.

#5 sideliner2

sideliner2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

acklan

Yes, I had cleaned all the dust etc. out and no I did not mess with the heat sink. I have since removed all cards and memory and reseated. I am running this unit through a KVM switch so that I can share monitor, mouse, and keyboard between both my boxes. When I hook the failing unit directly it still does not post and keyboard does not light up. I also swapped out key boards just in case. Still no joy. If the battery is dead would I be seeing these symptoms? Should I pull the CPU and reseat? The only reason I keep trying to bring it back from the dead is to try and learn something about failures.

#6 sideliner2

sideliner2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:48 PM

Post script

I just realized that the graphics card that I had installed in the failed unit is an 8x agp and th MB on that machine only supports 4x. Even though it played through several levels of Descent3 beautifully, it was running hot.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:34 AM

If you have not removed the processor I would not remove it unless you feel it maybe bad. If you do remove it make sure to apply fresh thermal grease.
You said it was running hot? Were all your fans turning? Did you have a fan on your video?

#8 sideliner2

sideliner2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:07 AM

All fans running including

2 on 400w PS
1 in lower front of cabinet(pulling air in)
1 on cpu
1 on graphics bd

By the way, when I say it was running hot, I mean hotter than any of the 6 or 7 I have ever owned. When the cd came out of the drive, it felt like it had been in a hot oven.

Maybe the MB is toast, after all, the thing is 6+ years old. Fixing this baby is beyond my knowledge and diagnostic tools. I am contemplating moving on to a new unit just for gaming. Looking at a Visionman. Thanks for your input.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:12 AM

hhmmm :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users