Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring a VPN with 2 routers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CheeseSteak

CheeseSteak

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am trying to setup a VPN for my home network. I thought I had the normal setup of a modem box and a router box but instead Verizon provided me with a modem/router combo (Actiontec MI424WR). I have a MultiTech RF830-AP VPN router which I already configured and is ready to go.

The problem here is that I was expecting to simply plug the MultiTech router into a single modem box (something comparable to a Motorola SURFboard cable modem) and I would be up and running. Considering the Verizon router is a router/modem combo and not just a plain modem, how would I connect the MultiTech to it so that there isn't conflicting settings?

This is what I was thinking about doing...

Plugging the coaxial cable from the wall into the Verizon router. Then plug in a Ethernet cord from the Verizon wan port to the MultiTech wan port and connect my 2 computers into the available ports (1-4). Would that work? What about the DHCP/other settings that the Verizon router would be sending out? It seems to me that it would conflict with the settings of the MultiTech.

I hope this makes sense! Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

I understand what you are attempting but I don't think the set up you are quoting here will work. The WAN must be the cable coming in from your ISP which in Verizon's case should be a telephone line if you have DSL or ethernet if you have FIOS. Either way the cable from your service provider must be plugged into the WAN port of the Verizon router/modem. You should be able to plug the VPN router in to the Verison router via the lan ports on each router. Turn off the DHCP on the VPN router. Setup your VPN(s). Connect all computers through the VPN router that need access to the VPN connection. You will need to give the VPN router an address on the local subnet as well. One final thing that you will probably need to do is port forward the VPN port numbers on the Verizon router to the IP of the VPN router.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

You just need to set the Actiontec to be bridged to be just a modem. Fairly sure there is instructions on the net on how to do it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 CheeseSteak

CheeseSteak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will try it out tomorrow and reply back.

#5 CheeseSteak

CheeseSteak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

The problem with this is that the router verizon supplies is responsible for Fios TV as well. I am a little reluctant to change the settings of the router and then not have TV. Any other suggestions?

#6 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

check in the settings of your router for an option that says some thing like this router gets its internet threw an other router.
*or maybe is on a network with an other router... some thing like that*

i think both of my routers have that option... but never really tried hooking them both up on the same network... just seen that option on there.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

If you try it the way I suggested the only thing you do to the verizon modem is port forwarding.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

TV has nothing to do with the net part of it. You are not changing any setting in the modem/router that would affect your TV in any way shape or form. You can call them if you like to verify.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users