Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safely Remove Hardware???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

Happy Sunday!

So, I know I'm way behind the times in learning how to use a digital camera and getting the images onto my computer, but better late than never, right? Anyway, I put the card from the back of my camera into my computer's hard-drive, and I believe all my pictures are uploaded. I DON'T want to delete any photos off the memory card yet. I'm now ready to take out the memory card from the computer, so I clicked on the icon at the bottom right corner of my monitor that says, "Safely Remove Hardware." When I do that, I'm getting the following message:

https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/b46415c65774dee5d83f1313a757b2afc80ccb84/687474703a2f2f6934352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f333030717379702e6a7067/ (Not sure if that was the right link so here is another one from Tinypic) Posted Image

I'm not even sure if what the message is referring to is my memory card or not, but there was only one thing to choose after clicking on "Safely Remove Hardware" so I chose it. I don't know what the message means. I don't see any windows open on my computer that have to do with my pictures. Is this even the correct device that I'm trying to remove?

When I had a laptop and clicked on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, it was different than this computer. It would just pop up with a message saying it was now okay to remove the hardware........not all this other stuff that this new computer is talking about.

Can anyone help me with this so I understand what it is that I'm doing? For now, I've just left the memory card from my digital camera IN the computer's hard-drive.

Thanks in Advance!
Michele

Edited by Luvkitty, 23 May 2010 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Try reading this thread to see if this helps you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-t...e-hardware-icon
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'm still confused. Aren't I supposed to use the "safely remove hardware" whenever I take anything out that I put into the hard-drive? One of the comments on that thread you directed me to said something about NOT using that icon when removing a memory card. Isn't the card that comes out of the back of a digital camera that has all the pictures on it called a memory card? That same comment warned against NOT using that icon for memory cards and to use eject instead. I don't see an eject on my hard drive for the memory card.....just for cd's/dvd's.

I uploaded pictures from the card once before, but I don't recall getting the message that I referred to in my original question. Can I just pull the card out, or will I risk losing all my pictures? Help please, LOL. :-)

Thanks,
Michele

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi luvkitty, you are right, you should use the Safely Remove Hardware before you disconnect any removable media from the computer, or it's possible to lose or damage files.

A simple way to know if it's safe to remove a device like the memory card is to see if it still shows in the listing in the left pane of the Windows Explorer, under My Computer (Computer in later Windows versions). You can just use the My Computer window in the same way.

On my laptop, when I put my camera SD card in the reader, it becomes "Removable Disk F:" (But of course it is probably called something different in your computer.) When I use the Safely Remove Hardware, the Removable Disk F: disappears from the list in Windows Explorer/My Computer.

I think even though the Safely Remove Hardware is confused about another drive in your computer, it will have correctly removed the camera card - if its listing is gone from Windows Explorer/My Computer, you should be able to unplug it.

Edited by Platypus, 23 May 2010 - 08:00 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi Platypus,

This is what shows in in the left sidebar of Computer:

Posted Image

It's still showing. Not sure what to do next, and why is it that the normal way no longer works....clicking on "Safely Remove Hardware"??

Thanks again,
Michele

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,476 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

For the other issues raised in MrBruce's link, as far as I know the Eject option appeared on older Windows versions like Windows 98, where it was an option in the context menu if you right-clicked on a removable drive. I don't have that option in XP.

The link may also explain why you haven't seen the message before. I know a similar thing happened for many people a few years ago on computers with a chipset made by VIA - Windows thought the drive it was installed on should be removable, even though that was not possible. If your computer does have an nForce motherboard like in the link, installing the correct motherboard chipset drivers could solve the problem.

If you'd like to try to solve this, let us know and one of us will guide you through locating and installing the right drivers for your system.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,476 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

It's still showing. Not sure what to do next

Sorry for the delay, I got called away to the phone.

Seems the computer is too confused to remove the drive safely. I think the best thing to do is to shut the computer down. That way you're sure the card is not being accessed in any way. Remove the card once the computer has stopped running, and then start it up again. If you've successfully copied the images to the computer you should find them intact, and still have the originals on the card when you check with the card back in the camera.

Edited by Platypus, 23 May 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

When you use the "safely remove hardware" icon what Windows is doing is ensuring that there are no open files on the removable media and making sure any cached (delayed) writes have been written to the removable device. If you have any applications open that are still referencing a file on the device or a Windows Explorer window still showing the files on the device then you won't be able to eject it. If you have made sure that no applications are possibly using the memory card and you have tried using the "safely remove" icon, the safest way is to shutdown your computer and remove the memory card before rebooting. Personally, I am a little bolder than that and if I'm relatively certain that nothing is currently using the memory card I will go ahead and pull the card out. I've done this numerous times over the years and have never had a problem. I can't guarantee that if you do it you won't have a problem.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

Thought I'd come back and thank you guys for the help on this issue......so, thank you!!! :thumbsup: :huh: :huh:

Hugs,
Michele

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

That model number listed...refers to a hard drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=301

Do you have an external hard drive attached to the system at times?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users