Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should New Orleans rebuild?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: How should New Orleans, Louisiana rebuild after Katrina (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How should New Orleans, Louisiana rebuild after Katrina

1. 1)Wipe out the low income and turn it into high value real estate. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2)Replace the low income project with new low income housing. (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. 3)Let the market drive development and keep Big Brother out of it. (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

4. 4)Give it back to the Gulf of Mexico (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

I personally thing the feds, state, and city should level the effected area. Backfill the low area with river silt dredged from the Mississippi river and let the market drive the development. The Corp dredge millions of cubic meters of silt from the river each year to keep the shipping lanes open. Why not reduce the threat from future floods?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:03 PM

I feel if they aren't willing or able to build a sea wall as they have in the Netherlands then they should only build on higher or more suitable ground. i wouldn't want too see all those people become resettled and in a number of years a category 5 comes in and history repeats itself. I think there's a saying about that..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

I personally thing the feds, state, and city should level the effected area. Backfill the low area with river silt dredged from the Mississippi river and let the market drive the development. The Corp dredge millions of cubic meters of silt from the river each year to keep the shipping lanes open. Why not reduce the threat from future floods?

Well said acklan, I agree. They need to stop and think before spending billions on a solution to put the place back together. They have to do something with the massive amounts of debris from the area. Use that as well.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:51 PM

I think they should strengthen the levies before any rebuilding is done. As you all have pointed out, what is to prevent this from happening again? The hurricanes seem to be getting worse, for whatever reason. The safety of the people of New Orleans should be assured before they try to rebuild. But leave FEMA out of it. We've all seen how competent they are.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:11 AM

Rebuild? I would not want to. Everything is gone! Who wants to rebuild in a hole and a sinking one! It keeps getting further and further below sea level.
Go somewhere else I say. Thats our tax dollars.

They should not move back into that area until its level or higher than sea level.

What is the point in building back from scratch pretty much into a giant sink hole?

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

I say to level the city, have rivers run through it, then let markets run off of that. If, somehow, it was plausible. New Orleans was doomed from the start. I laugh at the idea of rebuilding it, because where is the logic? It's a gigantic sinking hole! Unless they did some of that crazy stuff they did with the Japanese airport, level the city. Of course, Japanese engineers did not account the amount of clay that was on the seabed, but that's another story.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

The places that they are talking about rebuilding are zero gain anyway. The money people live across the Lake. The only reason they will rebuid is so Nagin can stay Mayor.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

Well somebody should say something! Were are paying this out of our taxes!
All those billions it will costs could feed and house thousands in pore countries or help other things in America like the social security fund...

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:00 AM

Maybe its just me but I believe that New Orleans as we knew it needs to be abandoned and moved to higher ground. Give the former NO back to the Gulf and just relocate the whole city (whats left of it). I mean who in their right mind would want to live below sea level??? I was flooded out of my appartment in 2004 and even though it didnt get my stuff it made me want to move out of the flood plain.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users