Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Windows Components

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

I am confused about removing certain Window XP components using the "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

I go to "Add and Remove Windows Components" and it showes a list of components such as I.E., MSN, Outlook Express, etc. Some have check marks and some don't. If I want to remove MSM, do I uncheck all except that one and then hit Add/Remove?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

start maintenance software
than choose the menu on the left side Windows parts add or removing ----scroll down until you see Windows Msm and remove the fink by Msn, then enter.
Windows remove Msn from your desktop.
The sub folder of Msn does stay exist in the menu Program Files, this maybe you will install Msn again in the future.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

HI,

NO I believe you just uncheck it and that will uninstall it. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

How to uninstall Windows components and programs that aren't listed in Add/Remove Programs

With pictures.

Please read before removing. Specifically, pay attention to step 3 which states

3.Youíll notice that Windows Messenger is listed, but if you read the fine print, when you opt to remove it itís only actually removing the entry from the Start menu. Which is hardly useful. To really remove Windows Messenger (and other programs not listed) keep reading.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 May 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

The checkmark indicates which Windows components are installed. To uninstall a component, remove the checkmark. To install a new component, put a checkmark next to it. You can check/uncheck multiple items. When you click OK, it will uninstall those that are installed but not checked and it will install those that are checked but not installed. Clear as mud?

Edited by strolln, 23 May 2010 - 09:29 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

I was always confused by that it was not clear at all. thanks for adding to my post strolln and queen
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks all. Great responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users