Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Alert

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:31 AM

Howdy,

I received a pop up screen yesterday. It said that it was a security alert from Microsoft. It stated that windows was blocking some of the functions of my Internet Explorer. It asked if I wanted to unblock, continue to block or worry with it later.

I have never had this happen before. Is this bogus ? Are my security settings perhaps set so high that I am missing out on some functions that Explorer is able to provide ? I am running Windows XP Home 2000 with SP2.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 03 October 2005 - 05:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

Hi dennis can't find anything about that popup have you tried scanning for ad-ware ect...?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

Beware of any kind of pop-up message; these are often created by malware on your hard drive. Perform a thorough scan with your resident Anti-virus and the anti-spyware applications you are running.
Was this popup from Microsoft, or was it perhaps something from your firewall?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

Depends on the popup - but if it comes in a Window like screen - it's probably not from Microsoft (SP2 does add some features that are similar to this tho'). Can you attach a screen shot of it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for the replys. It came as a window screen and said it was from microsoft. I ran Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot. It has not shown back up since.

Thanks,
Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users