Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU failure ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

So I turn on my computer... the lights turn on and everything ... I can hear the fans running. However, my monitor does not detect and signal, and my computer is forever in the running maximum fan speed. Normally, it only runs on max fan speed for 3 seconds during startup, but now it just stays like that .

My last issue withthe computer was a couple of months ago, where it turns out my computer goes BSOD about physical memory dump everytime I play a game or do something that requires a lot of resources. Turns out my CPU overheated cuz of the dust that collected. And it was fine till last week when my comp had difficulties turning on, always reaching BSOD before Windows booted. Now, however, it won't even turn on.

Got any ideas guys ? All my school work is there so I really need help right now . Thanks !

EDIT: I use Windows Vista , athlon 64, 8800gt,4gb RAM
recent virus was the server.exe which I believe I got rid of .

Edited by LatitudeZ, 23 May 2010 - 05:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

First always use precautions while working inside your computer against static electricity, ground yourself to the computers metal case while working inside the computer.

You can try a few things to see if your computer will boot normally again before assuming CPU or other component failure.

I would try removing the processor from it its slot, most processor slots have a lever that releases the CPU, make sure you observe how the processor was orientated in the slot.Make sure you do not bend the pins!

Check the processor's top and under side where the pins are for burned or dark areas, check the pins for discoloration, dark areas, burned, over heated appearance.

If a pin looks discolored, it is possible it was causing a bad connection, try to carefully scrape this pin with a knife blade till it is silver and shinny again.

Check the processors body for any burnt appearance. (report back to us if you see extreme cases of this)

Return the porcessor back to its slot and lower and lock the lever.

Put thermal grease (found at Staples or Radio Shack) only a small bead of it on the top core area of the processor head and spread evenly, do not over do this as it will make a mess all over the processor's body.

Put the heat sink back on top of the processor making sure it is properly locked into the clips on the processor's slot and is level, making full contact with the processor's core.

If your video card is an AGP, PCI, or PCI-E X 16 add on type, try removing the video card from its slot and returning it back into the slot, making sure it is fully seated.

If your video is on-board (integrated) then you have a different situation happening.

Please keep us informed, if this does not work, then we'll offer a few more suggestions, before assuming a total CPU failure.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Just a quickie to add to what MrBruce1959 has said, if the bsod's were general protection faults or fatal exception errors could indicate cpu, also when you first turn on pc your hard drive access light start flickering meaning the processor has reset and bios is performing post and searching for os boot files. If the access light does one quick flick or nothing could also indicate that the processor has flown the nest and needs replacing.

Edited by Darth sidious, 23 May 2010 - 10:24 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#4 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks guys.

So I left my computer off for the night and opened all the windows to cool off my comp . It turned back on. However , I still don't think that solved the underlying problem ...
so I took it apart ... used compressed air and blew out the dust , removed the processor. The processor pins are perfectly gold and no sign of anything burnt. The only thing was that the thermal grease is dried up .
so my guess is something is overheating, cuz I left the windows open to cool it , and it might be the processor since that's what happened last time .

Got any ideas to the root of this problem ? Thanks once again!

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

well you will need to get new thermal grease and clean the top of the proccesor and put the new paste on. That should lower your temps. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the swift reply. Is that it though ? Overheating because of the dried thermal grease which caused my comp to fail to boot ?
Thanks !

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

It might but it is worth a try. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Okay thanks going to go out and buy the grease now.... :thumbsup:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Thanks computerxpds your prompt reply is what I would have suggested for LatitudeZ to try next.

Thats what I like TEAM WORK! :thumbsup:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thanks computerxpds your prompt reply is what I would have suggested for LatitudeZ to try next.

Thats what I like TEAM WORK! :thumbsup:

Hey that is what I'm here for. I distribute my knowledge and help this great forum and all of its members. :flowers:

As for the OP be sure to reply back when you have done what was requested. :trumpet:
sigcomp.png 

#11 LatitudeZ

LatitudeZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

I went out and bought some thermal grease and applied it . Right now my comp is running perfectly fine and able to boot properly. So i guess at the moment the problem is solved. Thanks guys !

Oh and I guess I will leave my computer on for a day and try rebooting add report back to you guys :thumbsup: thankful again !

Edited by LatitudeZ, 23 May 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

I am speaking for all those above who were quick to assist you with the same advice about the thermal grease.

You are welcomed and thank you for using bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 May 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:12 AM

I went out and bought some thermal grease and applied it . Right now my comp is running perfectly fine and able to boot properly. So i guess at the moment the problem is solved. Thanks guys !

Oh and I guess I will leave my computer on for a day and try rebooting add report back to you guys :thumbsup: thankful again !

yes good idea to leave it on for about a day for the thermal grease to seat. :flowers: and as mrbruce said you are welcome :trumpet:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users