Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keylogger infection, scary business!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Adam Fink

Adam Fink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

Good morning!

Recently, an account to a popular online video game I own was compromised by an intruder who somehow logged my account and password information. (and NO, there is absolutely NO WAY I EVER typed that information and sent it to anyone, or any person I know) After doing some serious research on keyloggers, I have fomulated a hypothesis as to how this may have happened.

I accessed a shady website and logged into a p2p-type-of-chatroom that they "assist" people in. I do believe I logged into the game while connected to that chatroom. They never said a whole lot, and always took a long time to reply compared to other, similar, setups.

Please note that losing the account is by far not my main concern! I am scared that my computer is being logged even at this time, and have been using a virtual keyboard without clicking anything to log into accounts. I don't want these people to get a hold of my credit card information, as I use sites such as E-Bay frequently.

My theory is that, by logging into the P2P chatroom, they were able to install an active-x based application and record what I have been doing. I'm guessing that since I closed the chatroom website, they are unable to log my information. However, I am not sure and very scared.

I have done all that I can to find this keylogger, if it is on my computer. I don't know enough about the window's OS to look at a hijack this log and be like "oh there it is! boom!" So I come to you all with help. So far, I have ran several appliations, including ESET NOD32 antivirus, Webroot antivirus with spysweeper, adaware, and some other anti-spyware program. This has been done WHILE the game is running, to ensure that running the game may also activate the keylogger.

While I feel like I'm clean, I am unaware. Here are my system specifications, which may help you in your decision process! By the way, I have ONLY windows running on my main hard drive, and everything else saved to the second hard drive. I also have a backup of windows partitioned into the second drive, but I don't know if that is able to become infected, so I have taken no further steps.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dimension XPS
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Display: RADEON X800 XT
Sound: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZD (WDM)

I thank you in advance for your help. I realize that you are helping me on your own time, and very much appreciate it. I work every single day of the week, from 2PM-11PM EST, so please stick with me and I will relay additional information as needed.

-Adam Fink

Edited by Adam Fink, 23 May 2010 - 02:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users