Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron Celeron Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 River Cop

River Cop

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

I recently purchased a used laptop off of eBay. It was advertised as a Dell Inspiron 2650 with a
1.5ghz Intel Celeron processor and 256MB RAM. When it arrived I replaced a PC2100S 128MB
DDR - 266MHz chip in the user accessible slot at the back of the computer with a PC2700S
256MB DDR - 333MHz chip I had left over from another computer. After I installed the chip I
powered the unit up, it recognized the additional RAM and seemed to run fine except for a
trojan/adware infection which I believe I've since cleared up. The case is marked Inspiron 2650
model PP04L. Following is System Information taken from the computer.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Inspiron 2650
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1495 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES LTD. A05, 9/10/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB

I've never owned a computer with a Celeron chip, only Pentiums or Athlons. I know this unit is
several years old and probably just much slower than what I'm used to. I would like to speed it up
using what I already have on hand if I can. I have an AMD Athlon 64 chip from an HP zv5000 series
laptop I had saved for parts. The chip is marked with the following series of numbers:
AMA3200BEX5AR 1144196K40699 CAAWC0444XPMW 2001AMD.
My question is, which you have probably already guessed, will this proscessor work in this
computer?

Edited by River Cop, 23 May 2010 - 01:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

Unfortunately not. Aside from the fact that AMD and Intel CPU's and motherboards are not mutually compatible, the CPU's in most laptops are soldered on making them extremely difficult to replace. You're largely stuck with what you've got at purchase when it comes to laptops.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users