Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DriveImage XML - Currently Freeware

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:35 AM

Runtime Software

DriveImage XML

Image and Backup logical Drives and Partitions

DriveImage XML is an easy to use and reliable program for imaging and backing up partitions and logical drives.

The program allows you to:

* Backup logical drives and partitions to image files
    * Browse these images, view and extract files
    * Restore these images to the same or a different drive
    * Copy directly from drive to drive

Image creation uses Microsoft's Volume Shadow Services (VSS), allowing you to create safe "hot images" even from drives currently in use.

Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!

Restore images to drives without having to reboot.

DriveImage XML runs under Windows XP Home and XP Professional only.
The program will backup, image and restore drives formatted with FAT 12, 16, 32 and NTFS.

DriveImage XML V1.00

Price: Free for home users
System Requirements:
Pentium processor
256 MB Ram
Windows XP

BartPE Plugin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

V1.02 Released

Posted Image

Note the site still lists V1.00 as the download but you will get V1.02.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Thanks! Have you used it? I've got Acronis True Image (and use it a lot), but most folks that I talk to don't want to pay the $50.

I haven't heard of anyone using this - even tho' it's been around for a short bit. Does it work well? Have you experienced any glitches with it? Any advice on giving it to people who can't tell the difference between hard drive storage and RAM?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Allen.H

Allen.H

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

Thanks! Have you used it? I've got Acronis True Image (and use it a lot), but most folks that I talk to don't want to pay the $50.

I haven't heard of anyone using this - even tho' it's been around for a short bit. Does it work well? Have you experienced any glitches with it? Any advice on giving it to people who can't tell the difference between hard drive storage and RAM?

I have d/loaded it and tried it, hoping to backup to an xternal drive but no luck it would only backup to c drive which I don't think would help in the event of a crash, maybe someone else has had more luck

Edited by Allen.H, 16 November 2005 - 01:10 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

If you have not tried it Digital Dolly 1.0 is a very good drive utility that run from cd in a Linux GUI. I have been using for years. Burn an .iso image to a cd and boot to the cd. I have had it boot with as little as 32mg of RAM, and since it is Linux it does not rely on the computers OS. It is also free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

Does Digital Dolly do disk imaging? Is it suitable for neophytes?

When I recommend backups, etc to people, I'm constantly extolling the virtues of a drive image's ability to have your system back up and running 20 minutes after a crash. It's an especially valuable tool for those that are just starting to learn about system "tweaks" - and haven't quite got the hang of it yet (I remember those days well - well, OK, it still happens to me today too!)

So, what I'm looking for is a good, free imaging utility that will give the user the ability to clone their drive and save it for later on - when they need it. There are disk cloning utilities at the drive manufacturer's websites - but they just don't seem to fit the needs of the tweaker who needs to restore their system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

I love it because it is stand alone. You don't even have to have a partition to boot the GUI. It is straight forward. Some of it utilities.

Disk image
Partitioning, with on the fly repartitioning.
Formating. In over 40 different formats
Drive wipe . Both single pass and DOD 7 pass standard.
Scanning for defects.

It' only a 50meg .iso image.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

If you have not tried it Digital Dolly 1.0 is a very good drive utility that run from cd in a Linux GUI. I have been using for years. Burn an .iso image to a cd and boot to the cd. I have had it boot with as little as 32mg of RAM, and since it is Linux it does not rely on the computers OS. It is also free.

Just to mention, for those on dial-up, DigitalDolly is a 42.2 MB .zip download.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:42 PM

Oops. I knew I was forgeting something. Thanks tg1911. It's still worth doing a overnight download when you go you bed, or start it when you leave for the day. Just a thought.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Thanks folks! I'm gonna add it to my system tools bookmarks right now!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

Some user reviews/comments re Digital Dolly 1.0: http://www.download.com/Digital-Dolly/3640...4-10220910.html.

Louis

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thank you hamluis.

#13 stidyup