Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which are the Best Free Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone!

My McAfee subscription through Dell runs out on Sunday May 23, 2010. I would like to know what are the best Free Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware, and Firewalls out there. I looked at the list that is on here, but could not figure out which one is better for my situation.

I currently have as Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware : a-Squared free, Spybot S&D free, MBAM free, and SUPERAntiSpyware free. I have Windows Defender and Firewall turned off because of interfering with McAfee.

I currently do not have the money to renew my subcription with McAfee, nor do I have the money to buy a paid full service security program with firewall.

My question is what do you recommend I should do and what programs are best for my situation?

PS: I was thinking of Microsoft Security Essentials, for 2 reasons: 1) It's Free and 2) my computer already has a lot of Microsoft programs on it. Has anyone had any experience with this program?

Edited by Groffeaston, 22 May 2010 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

Groffeaston,

I installed MSE on my sisters W7 computer and she thinks it is great did that about 2 months ago when it was new. If you use MSE it wlii turn off Windows Defender because it includes it own spyware component. Use the Windows firewall with it cause from what I have read on MS sites it doesn't play well with third party firewalls. When you go to uninstall the McAfee makes sure to use there removal tool to get as many traces as possible otherwise you may have a problem installing MSE.

Good Luck Mr. Phelps this message will self destruct in 5 seconds!

Dan

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the reply. I know all too well, about Windows Firewall not getting along well with others! :thumbsup: I had to turn it off because it was causing problems with McAfee and other programs as well.

If there are other programs that I should look at, besides the Microsoft Security Essentials, that would do as good of a job as the McAfee program I have now, THat would be great. If not I will just go with the MSE.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

On my XP I use avast 5 and Outpost Firewall Free along with WinPatrol Free as my real time components with Spyware Blaster for browser protection. I also use MBAM and SAS for any on demand scanning. I use Ccleaner and Revo for any clean up and occasionally Either Defraggler, by the same people who make Ccleaner, or Puran Free Defragger when I feel the need to defrag which really isn't often. I also play around with SRware Iron and K-Meleon browsers. Opera is my main with IE 8 as a fall back.

Dan

#5 Brian67

Brian67

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hi Groffeaston,

Last December I had a few problems with my OS: Vista Home Premium and in frustration I decided to call in a computer techie to
sort it all out.

An hour later, he'd done a reformat and uninstalled my Zonealarm firewall and Avast AV programs (telling me they were hogging
resources too much)!! He installed MSE, told me that I did not require a 3rd party firewall as the Vista firewall was quite adequate as
I was also using the router's hardware firewall.

I've been running MSE and Vista firewall now some five months now, apart from a week or so when I tried Avast5 and used in
conjunction with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, I've yet to see any sign of infection, touch wood!!

Hope you don't mind me adding my five cents worth but I think it's certainly worth giving MSE a try.

Brian67

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

I currently have as Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware : a-Squared free, Spybot S&D free, MBAM free, and SUPERAntiSpyware free

Given that you have the three essentials, as far as spyware/malware is concerned, I would suggest the following additions:

AV Programs:

Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Or Avast! Free Antivirus

Firewall:

Zone Alarm Free Or Comodo

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 May 2010 - 07:37 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:34 PM

Hello everyone!

I uninstalled the McAfee programs and then quickly installed the MSE so I would not be without protection. I did notice one thing right from the start. Faster start-up times. Because lately my computer was starting to take forever to start-up!

THere is one more question, the one program that scans my computer and checks to see what security programs (anti-malware, anti-virus, and anti-spyware) did not show me as having an anti-virus program. I know some of those scanners do not recognize all of the security programs that are available. Could this be the case, because I just installed MSE or do I need to add an anti-virus program?

#8 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hello everyone!

I uninstalled the McAfee programs and then quickly installed the MSE so I would not be without protection. I did notice one thing right from the start. Faster start-up times. Because lately my computer was starting to take forever to start-up!

THere is one more question, the one program that scans my computer and checks to see what security programs (anti-malware, anti-virus, and anti-spyware) did not show me as having an anti-virus program. I know some of those scanners do not recognize all of the security programs that are available. Could this be the case, because I just installed MSE or do I need to add an anti-virus program?

I service residential computers for a living and I can tell you from experiance that Mcafee and Norton (especially 360) can make a computer run slower then my old Packard Bell 133MHz 16 MB RAM 2GB hard drive computer and I kid you not.

If you have at least 512 MB of RAM I would run Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira Personal Free would be the way to go with MalwareBytes to run on a bi-weekly basis.

If you want to pay for a Anti-Virus suite I highly recommend ESET 4.0 in my opinion its much more effective for removing nastys then any of the big names and also lighter on system resources.

EDIT: As far as the program your talking about that is not recognizing you having AV software installed are you talking about the red shield with the X on it? If you are its not because its not finding an AV program as it should recognize MSE as a AV program click on it and see what reason its giving you is your MSE up to date and green? Is your firewall enabled?

Edited by jdbaker82, 26 May 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

If you want to pay for a Anti-Virus suite I highly recommend ESET 4.0 in my opinion its much more effective for removing nastys then any of the big names and also lighter on system resources.

^ I second that.
Use ESET Smart Security 4 on both my machines.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 May 2010 - 02:18 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 surv227

surv227

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Looking for advice about antivirus, malware and firewall.

Currently using free versions of Avast and Malwarebytes, also using AdvanceSystemCare Pro, and run them quite regularly.

Running Avast on access protection seems to be a resource hog, and thought that maybe something else would be more resource friendly.

Have seen some info about Microsoft's Security Essentials. Would this be a better option, what conflicts should I watch out for?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

#11 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

I currently have as Anti-Malware and Anti-Spyware : a-Squared free, Spybot S&D free, MBAM free, and SUPERAntiSpyware free. I have Windows Defender and Firewall turned off because of interfering with McAfee.

My question is what do you recommend I should do and what programs are best for my situation?

PS: I was thinking of Microsoft Security Essentials, for 2 reasons: 1) It's Free and 2) my computer already has a lot of Microsoft programs on it. Has anyone had any experience with this program?

the software you installed and mentioned I do not know well but according to my experience, Malwarebytes sometimes gets some forced action, So I recommend spyware doctor, lavasoft ad-adware, both of them have useful function and have reached a professional level.

by the way, I know little about microsoft security essentials but some of my friends speak highly of them, you should try it.

the software you installed and mentioned I do not know well but according to my experience, Malwarebytes sometimes gets some forced action, So I recommend spyware doctor, lavasoft ad-adware, both of them have useful function and have reached a professional level.

by the way, I know little about microsoft security essentials but some of my friends speak highly of them, you should try it.

#12 Luckily

Luckily

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

I recommend that you can use Instant Spyware Removal program. I have used this one for some time, and find that it is powerful in detecting and remove kinds of PC threats. Wish it help you!

#13 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

Well that's a new one, it seems to be a paid program with no history and there are very good free programs available.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users