Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Vista to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bufordboy

Bufordboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi I hope someone here can give me some advice. I purchased an Acer aspire laptop for my daughter a year or so ago and on the box it said 60 GB HD, but in reality it is a dual HD with 30 GB each, one marked "Acer" :C and a second marked "Data" :D Now one prob is that within a short time the C drive was pretty full and the thing is running pretty slow. I moved as much stuff as I felt comfortable with to the D drive and C is still 80% full!!! I can't upgrade to Windows 7 right now because I don't have the 16 GB I need to do this on the C drive. If I do a custom install of Windows 7 on the D drive will it still work?? Oh I did upgrade the original RAM volume from 500 MB to 1.5 GB this helped the speed at first, but as the HD got fiuller and fuller it slowed again.

Edited by Bufordboy, 22 May 2010 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

why not just back all data to the D drive and then do a clean/custom install to the C drive. :huh:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Bufordboy

Bufordboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

You mean copy everything from C to D? then custom install to C? I guess i don't understand what happens to Vista. Does it stay on C? This is an upgrade version of 7 for Vista.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

Vista, or 7 doesn't make much sense on 30GB partition, because after a while of usage, Windows folder will be closing on 20GB in size.
You either buy a bigger drive, or you format existing one to get a whole 60GB in one piece.
You can perform clean Windows 7 installation, even if you have just upgrade DVD.
Here is how: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index....showtopic=38243

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

Well the question is it 2 physical hard drives or is it two partitions?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hmmm...laptop with two hard drives? :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Bufordboy

Bufordboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hmmm good question. I'm not a complete amatuer, but where would I look to figure that out.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hmmm...laptop with two hard drives? :huh:

hey mine is a 2 bay laptop. to support 2 drives...

As for where to look i would look in disk manager.

Edited by computerxpds, 22 May 2010 - 11:38 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#9 Bufordboy

Bufordboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

Yeah Im not overly fond of Acer right now. Obviously they sell this entry level laptop knowing within a short time you will have to pump money ionto it just to get it to function!!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:41 PM

mine is a 2 bay laptop. to support 2 drives

Not very typical, at least and not with two 30GB drives. It doesn't make sense...but, one can always be wrong.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Bufordboy

Bufordboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

K guys thanks it is getting late here, so I'm gonna check this stuff tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

#12 gawally

gawally

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

Just a thought - have discs been compressed ? I not sure of BP opinion of compressing them
There were a lot more bits but much less storage in old mainframes

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

Compression slows a computer to a crawl, so no that would not be a good idea.
sigcomp.png 

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

I can assure you it's one drive with 2 partitions. My mom's crappy old Acer was set up this way (80GB split into 40-40).

But if you want to see for yourself...

Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using this tutorial. Upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use Imageshack). Then post it here in your topic.

This makes it easier to see what's going on in the partitions and drives on your system.

I would recommend saving all your data to the D: partition, do a clean install of Windows 7 on the C: (I don't recommend in-place upgrades), move your data back to C: after the clean install, then delete D:, and expand C: back into the empty space (to regain all 60GB). There's no point in having the drive partitioned.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users