Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-SP3 installed ... C drive free space reduced drastically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have a Compaq laptop with a 80 GB hard disc, of which C drive is 15 GB. The OS has been XP-Pro SP2, and generally, about 50% space (7 to 8 GB) in C drive used to remain free.

I have just installed SP3, and find free space at only 3 GB. In other words, 4 GB seems to have been lost to SP3 installation process. After installation of SP3, OS has been fully patched, vetted by Secunia.
I have also used CCleaner, but it cleaned few MBs.

The broad breakdown of the used space of 12 GB is as follows :-

a) Windows 6.6 GB
b ) Program files 2.4 GB
c) Documents & Settings 1 GB : I don't use MyDocuments, and this contains only my OE mails.

I am attaching a file showing the folder details of C drive.

Any advice to reclaim lost space will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Attached Files

Edited by abanerji, 22 May 2010 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:11 AM

Between Windows and programs installed...and pagefile and hibernation...11-12GB used should be expected.

This system has a 23GB C:, with a few programs installed...and reflects 11GB free space now on C:.

Your emails do not have to be stored on C:, you can move the message store to any existing partition.

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

You can also enlarge C: by using any number of programs, following the appropriate directions for using that program.

Example: Easeus Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2010 - 09:53 AM.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

Wow, although microsoft says 1.5Gb is all that is needed to install xp that does not include swap files, temporary files, 3rd party drivers, additional registry entries, or anything else that adds to the windows install. Standard XP without any extras like drivers, service packs, or anything else will easily consume 5GB. Once you start adding in all your goodies and then put SP3, which is huge by the way, on top of it your pushing the limits. For me the smallest windows partition that is feasible is a 20 GB one. I usually run a 40 GB one on my personal and right now I'm at 10 GB free space. 80 GB is ancient history I would spring for a new drive, something in the 320 GB range at the least and 500 GB would be better. You can clone over the partitions and increase their size all in one step plus your drive performance will be greatly improved.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

I thank both of you for the excellent responses. Especially, the bit about moving OE folders to my Data drive, did not come to me.

This laptop is a late 2007 model, so nearly three years old. 15 GB for C drive had seemed good then. Anyway, since I am not a techical person, will have to grab a more technical friend to do the actual re-partition or other hardware job.

My external drives are now mostly 500 GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users