Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interface reverted back to windows classic on XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Ok so my laptop's interface for some reason has been changed somehow to the windows classic interface and I'm not able to change it back. There's not even an option for it when I right click on the desktop, go to properties and such. Also, I'm not able to pick up a signal to connect to the internet. Things are slow loading as well. I don't think it's a virus or anything so I didn't bother including a HJT log. I had installed the Firefox plug in for Windows Media Player recently, but even after that I wasn't having problems. After doing that I restarted like it told me. I don't know if that might have any sort of impact or not. It just happened randomly and abruptly. I would really appreciate any sort of help on this issue. Thanks guys.
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Only one idea right off, try system restore to a time when things were right.

#3 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I would except I made the mistake of not setting any restore point. Thanks anyway :/

Is there anything else you think might work?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

a couple of things to check

Windows XP style not available

Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab and in the Performance section click the
Settings button.
Under the Visual Effects tab check the box 'Use visual styles on
windows and buttons'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot apply Windows XP themes. Only Classic View available.

Go to Start => Run and type in services.msc
Maximize the Services window that opens and scroll down to Themes
Double-click on it.
Set the Startup type to Automatic and click the Start button.
Exit Services

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

monkpart9,

Go to >Start>Control Panel>Task Bar and Startup Menu> click Startup tab unclick Classic Menu click Start Menu and apply OK everything should change, can't remember if it is then or on next start up.

Dan

#6 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hmm. Upon further investigation, I really don't think that it's my computer being reverted back to classic style windows but instead it has some classic style features since things aren't working properly or something. I believe the issues are more serious than what I had initially thought so I think I'm just going to post a HJT log. Thanks so much for the help though, guys. I really appreciate it.

#7 phantomile

phantomile

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

I to have had the same issue. Like him i just restarted my computer and my computer was reverted back to the classic style with no options to revert it back to the original settings. Other issue is for my wireless internet its always looking for the IP address and cannot find it no matter if i change firewall settings, restart the computer, or even reset the router. Thirdly i thought at some point that it could possibly be a virus or malicious file of some sort but scanning with avast, superantispyware, and malwarebytes all in the original mode and safe mode I have found nothing. I have no idea what it could be at all...

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

this from kellys-korner. if you procede with the registry edits make sure you back up the registry first and understand how to revert back to the backup if there is a problem.

Question: Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

This has to do with a Policy setting made either via gpedit.msc or manually via the registry. The side effects are that Windows and Buttons are greyed out under Desktop Properties/Appearance and the check box under System Properties/Advanced/
Performance/Settings that reads: Use visual styles on windows and buttons, does not remain checked. This edit corrects that behavior. Download and apply either one on line 214, they are the same edit.

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Other checkpoints:

1. Right click the My Computer icon/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings. Verify that: Use visual styles on windows
and buttons is checked.
2. Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View. User Common Tasks in Folders.
3. Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance. Windows and Buttons choose: Windows XP style.
4. Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to Themes and verify that the service is started.

#9 phantomile

phantomile

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

Well as far as the IP address goes it seems that you can temporarily fix it for a session on your computer by manually giving your computer an IP address. I just played around with the numbers and found one that worked for me. Another thing is that i went to the Administrative tools folder and there is nothing in it as it seems. Though it says that there is about 6 kb of some sort of information in the folder I cannot see anything.

Edited by phantomile, 26 May 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

if router is not returning an IP you should check router settings and see if DHCP is enabled. if it is it should automatically assign an IP. if it is not then you have to set an IP manually and it has to be in the range that the router is set to handle or just enable DHCP.

Edited by caperdog, 28 May 2010 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users