Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will only start in safe mode after installing service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seeingisbelieving

Seeingisbelieving

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

I recently got help on this site removing some nasty malware from my computer, and the nice person who helped me told me I should have automatic updates enabled on my computer. I explained to her the reason why I didn't and she told me I should post it in here to see if anyone could help me. I stopped automatic updates on my computer because every time I updated, it would load Windows XP service pack 3 on my computer. Then when it would restart for the changes to take effect, my computer wouldn't boot back up, it would only start in safe mode. I would then uninstall the update in safe mode and my computer would go back to normal. I read of some problems in the service pack 3 sticky at the top of this forum and they talk about some Intel Power Managment drivers, and problems related to computers with AMD processors (which mine has), so I imagine this is my problem. Also in the stickys it says that service pack 3 doesn't run well internet explorer 8, so my question I guess is 1) do I really need to update to service pack 3, and 2) am I better off (more secure is really what I am caring about) with an older browser or the older service pack?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi -
Have you run a CheckDisk yet - Close all open programs and copy and paste this code into the Run Box and click OK -
It will take 30-45 mins to run and do a full 5 stage disk check -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

You can get a patch to install SP3 with an oem pc that has an AMD processor here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

That should fix your issue

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

<<...so I imagine this is my problem>>

Why don't you tell us...the system manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model...before we start worrying about things which might not relate to the problem at hand?

Louis

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

The simple answer to your question is yes you need to install SP3 and no you are not secure using older browsers/service packs. I have several computers running SP3 with IE8 with no issues. Only certain AMD proccessors had issues with SP3 so without knowing what your PC is like Hamlius said then it will be hard to help
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users