Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visual C++ Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

i'm trying to resurrect a visual c++ 6.0 program i wrote 6 years ago, on another computer. the program compiles, but i get an error part way through its execution:

Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfc42.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTFIME.IME', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
The thread 0xA30 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xA64 has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).

anyway, i can't figure out how to make a debug version so that i can step through the source code. i went to project

settings and in the debug window i put the path name of the debug executable. nothing else. under tools/options, i'm not

sure what should be set there.

could someone let me know how to set-up a debug program and/or tell what might be going wrong?

i'm running on windows xp, like before, and using visual studio 6.0, like before (tho a different installation of it,

possibly a different version?).

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hello, jimlau :thumbsup:

You haven't listed any error messages. Visual Studio is complaining that it can't find debugging information for internal Windows DLLs, which is expected -- why would internal windows DLLs have source code you can see? The only thing going on here is your application returning an error code. But that's coming from your code, of which you have posted nothing.

This is telling though:
The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).

You aren't going to be able to step-through debug your code reliably using release builds of the binary. You have to switch your application to debug mode, rebuild, and then the debugger should work as expected. There should be a dropdown menu on the toolbar which currently reads "Release", which you should change to "Debug" and try again.

Hope that helps,
Billy3

EDIT: 0xC0000005 is ERROR_ACCESS_VIOLATION -- looks like you have a wild pointer on your hands.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 22 May 2010 - 08:01 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

that's my problem - i can't seem to compile a debug version. i go to "build", then "configurations", i add a "win32 debug" entry, then build. but no debug version seems compiled. is there some other setting i am missing? i get a compiled folder "game___Win32_Debug" with newly compiled files, but there is no executable in it.

also, under project settings, in the debug window, i have the path set to the debug folder.

any idea what i'm missing?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

In that case, I think something's broken in your solution file. You might want to consider using a more recent version of the compiler; and recreating the solution file in the process.
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

didn't solve the debug version, but i solved the programming error without it. whew.

btw, do u know how to change the MFC cubes logo as the icon to the executable file to one of my own?

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

No; I've never used MFC.
Posted Image

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

The icon is changed in the resource file. You can do it in many ways
- edit the default icon
- copy over the icon in the res folder with your new icon. Keep the name Project.ico.
- manually edit the .rc file and specify your icon.

The last two methods should be done after closing down Visual C++.

#8 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

did that. i made a small icon (16 x 16) for my project's main icon. i made a larger version (48 x 48)

in the vc++ editor, which shows up as the icon when the program icon is seen in tile mode.

but i want the latter to be bigger. so i made a third icon (80 x 80) under the same icon

name, but i don't know how to get the program to read the third version instead of the

second. is there a way to remove the middle version?

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Select the icon you want to remove and hit Delete on your keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users